If you love berries, give this mouthwatering berry salad a try. It adds blueberries and strawberries along with a sweet and tangy blueberry dressing.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Berries have long been recognized as a sweet treat to enjoy on their own, but they also make the perfect addition to salads. Not only do they add a burst of vibrant color to your plate, but they also bring a delightful balance of flavors that can take an ordinary salad to the next level.
One of the main reasons why berries work so well in salads is their natural sweetness. The sweetness of fresh berries perfectly complements the tartness of the greens.
Berries also provide an exciting texture element to any summer berry salad recipe. Whether used fresh or mashed to release their juices into salad dressings, they add a juicy and tender element that adds depth and dimension to each bite.
Reasons to Love
- Burst of vibrant flavors. Juicy blueberries and sweet strawberries add a refreshing taste to the fresh greens of a salad. This makes it a perfect summer salad.
- A perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess. The natural sugars in the berries are combined with a tangy vinaigrette dressing.
- Endless options for customization. You can use different greens like spinach or arugula, add some crunchy nuts or seeds for texture, or mix in creamy cheese for extra richness.
This summer salad comes together with just a few basic ingredients.
Here's what you need to make this easy summer salad?
- mixed greens
- feta cheese
- red onion
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
To make this recipe, you'll start by slicing the strawberries and onion. Then follow these simple step-by-step directions.
Place the lettuce into a large bowl. Top with the walnuts on one side.
Add the berries and the sliced red onion.
Top with the crumbled feta cheese.
In a food processor or blender, add blueberries and honey.
Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh basil leaves, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Pulse together, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, and toss to coat well just before serving.
Hint: If you don't have a food processor or blender, you can mash the blueberries with a fork and add them to the other dressing ingredients. Then whisk together just before using.
There are countless ways to mix up a berry salad and enhance the delightful dish. Here are a few suggestions:
- Change the crunch. Add sliced almonds, toasted pecans, or sunflower seeds instead of walnuts. Crispy air fryer strawberries can also be used instead of fresh slices.
- Use different cheese. Experiment with different types of cheese like goat cheese, blue cheese, or gorgonzola.
- Toss in mint leaves. The hint of coolness complements the sweetness of the berries beautifully.
- Try different lettuce leaves. Instead of traditional lettuce, try an arugula or baby spinach salad. You can also experiment with various blends.
- Add protein. Grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu are excellent options to make your salad more satisfying and filling.
- Use other types of berries. Raspberries or blackberries make great additions or substitutions. You can even make a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
- Change up the dressing. Use raspberries instead of blueberries to make a raspberry vinaigrette. Or try balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar for a sweeter taste.
Top tip: It's crucial to dress the salad just before serving to prevent wilting lettuce. This ensures that each leaf remains crisp and fresh, allowing the flavors of the berries and other ingredients to shine.
- Rinse the berries and pat dry gently before adding them to the salad. This removes any dirt or residue, leaving you with clean and fresh berries.
- Serve immediately. Berry salads are best enjoyed shortly after assembly to maintain the freshness of the ingredients.
To enhance the flavors of this vibrant salad even further, consider pairing it with some delicious accompaniments. Grilled BBQ chicken thighs or shrimp skewers can add a hearty protein boost while keeping things light and refreshing.
Another option could be to serve crusty Italian artisan bread or air fryer garlic bread on the side. The crispiness and crunchiness of bread provide a pleasing contrast to the fresh greens in the salad.
To store any leftovers, it's essential to separate the dressing from the rest of the salad. This will prevent soggy lettuce as they sit in the fridge.
Use separate airtight containers or resealable bags for the lettuce, berries, and dressing. Adding a paper towel at the bottom of the lettuce container can also help absorb any excess moisture, further extending the freshness.
Want to try some more refreshing salad recipes? Here are some of our top recipes:
- Green bean and tomato salad is perfect for garden produce.
- Easy broccoli salad with bacon is an easy side dish for summer.
- Greek chopped salad is a flavorful way to start any meal.
- Santa Fe salad is a filling meal full of Southwest flavors.
- Best salad with salmon takes little effort to prepare.
Berry Salad with Blueberry Dressing
- 4 cups spring mix
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup whole fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ red onion sliced thinly
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 squeeze fresh lemon juice about 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- Top the lettuce with the strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, feta and red onion.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse together the vinaigrette ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, and toss to coat well before serving.