This deliciously creamy red skin potato salad is made with bacon for an extra savory kick. Enjoy this classic side dish at all your summer BBQs.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
This tangy twist on a traditional favorite is perfect for picnics, barbecues, and potlucks. The salad is made with creamy and flavorful red potatoes and brings freshness to any gathering.
Red potatoes have a slightly sweeter flavor and firmer texture than their white or yellow counterparts. Combined with crispy bacon pieces and dressed in a zesty sauce, every bite is a delightful explosion of flavors.
Whether you're hosting a backyard bash or simply craving something delicious, red potato salad with bacon is sure to satisfy you. So grab your apron and get ready to whip up this mouthwatering dish.
Reasons to Love
- Simple ingredients for easy and quick preparation. With just a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a delicious bowl quickly.
- A versatile dish that pairs well with various mains. Whether you're serving grilled chicken, juicy burgers, or succulent steaks, this recipe card staple adds flavor and texture to any meal.
- Refreshing taste that appeals to most taste buds. Combining creamy potatoes with zesty dressing creates a delightful burst of flavors that satisfies even the pickiest eaters.
You only need simple ingredients like red potatoes, mayo, mustard, and vinegar to create this mouthwatering dish.
Here are the items you'll need for this red skin potato salad recipe:
- small red skinned potatoes
- sour cream
- apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- green onion
- cooked bacon
- salt and pepper
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Start by thoroughly washing the potatoes to remove dirt or debris. Cut them into bite-sized pieces, place them in a large pot, and cover them with water.
Boil on high heat until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes, and rinse immediately with cold water. Allow the potatoes to cool.
Add the potatoes into a mixing bowl and add chopped celery.
Add sour cream, Dijon mustard, chopped green onion, chopped parsley, and mayonnaise.
Pour in apple cider vinegar.
Add bacon pieces, salt, and ground black pepper.
Stir all ingredients to combine well. Place in the refrigerator to chill. Garnish with additional bacon and parsley before serving if desired.
You can take your creamy red potato salad from ordinary to extraordinary with a few simple additions. Here are some tips to enhance the flavor and texture of your salad:
- Diced Pickles: For extra flavor and crunchiness, consider mixing in diced pickles.
- Paprika: To give your salad an appealing visual touch, try sprinkling paprika on top.
- Mediterranean Twist: Add feta cheese, olives, and cherry tomatoes for a burst of Mediterranean flavor.
- Spicy Kick: Incorporate jalapeños or hot sauce into the dressing to spice your salad.
- Vegetarian: Omit the bacon and replace it with a flavorful substitute like roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes. You can also incorporate crunchy elements like toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts.
- Lighter Option: To reduce calories use light mayonnaise and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. You can also use turkey bacon in place of regular pork bacon.
These are just a few ideas to add extra crunchiness and flavor to the salad. Feel free to experiment with your own modifications.
- Leave the potato skins on. The skins add texture and flavor to the salad so don't want to peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes evenly. Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces to ensure they cook evenly.
- Avoid overcooking potatoes as they may become mushy. Cook until a fork easily pierces through them.
- Chill for Optimal Flavor Blending: Before serving, allow your red skin potato salad with bacon to chill in the refrigerator. This allows the ingredients to marry together, resulting in optimal flavor blending.
Serve chilled alongside summer favorites like BBQ boneless chicken thighs or a Sonoran hot dog recipe. It's the perfect accompaniment to your summer barbecues and picnics. The creamy texture of the potato salad pairs wonderfully with the smoky flavors of grilled meats.
To store, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
These other simple salads are perfect for outdoor barbecues too.
- Radish salad has a creamy and crunchy texture.
- Green bean tomato salad is packed with fresh, flavorful ingredients.
- Broccoli salad with bacon is a classic picnic dish for summer.
- Seafood pasta salad combines shrimp and crab in a creamy dressing.
Red Skin Potato Salad
- ½ pound Small red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon Sour cream
- 2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon Chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon Chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoon Bacon pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the potatoes to a small pot and cover with water. Boil on high heat until the potatoes are a crisp tender. Drain, and rinse immediately with cold water. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Place the cooled potatoes into a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine well.
- Garnish with additional bacon and parsley before serving if desired.