Salads are the perfect option for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. This Santa Fe Salad is light, refreshing, and full of flavor. It's also a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
When it comes to a delicious and nutritious salad, a grilled chicken salad recipes are hard to beat! One of our favorites is the Santa Fe Chicken Salad at the Cheesecake Factory.
Instead of making a copycat Santa Fe Salad recipe from a popular restaurant, we changed it up a little. But our version is still packed with healthy ingredients like beans, corn, avocados, and tomatoes.
The salad is very simple to prepare, so it's perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Just make the Santa Fe salad dressing and pour it over the salad ingredients. Then top it all off with crispy homemade baked tortilla strips.
A Santa Fe salad is a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy Southwestern flavors. The salad is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
Here's what you'll need to make a Santa Fe salad:
- Black beans - These beans are a staple in many southwestern dishes, and they're packed with protein and fiber.
- Corn - Sweet corn is a key ingredient in this salad, adding both flavor and texture.
- Tomatoes - Fresh tomatoes add sweetness and acidity to the salad.
- Green onions - These add a touch of onion flavor without being overpowering.
- Cilantro - This herb adds a bright, fresh flavor to the salad.
- Lime juice - A squeeze of lime juice ties all the flavors together perfectly.
- Tortilla strips - Crunchy strips of baked or fried tortilla strips add a little crunch.
- Shredded cheese - Pepperjack cheese or cheddar cheese are the best choices.
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Salads are so simple to make and the Santa Fe is no exception. First you'll make the dressing. Next, assemble salad by adding toppings to a lettuce base. Then drizzle the dressing over the top.
Place mayonnaise and lime juice into a small bowl.
Add seasonings to the bowl.
Stir everything together to make the dressing.
Place lettuce on a large serving plate and place chicken in center.
Add rinsed black beans and corn on one side.
Add the remaining toppings then drizzle on dressing.
To combine all the flavors, it's best to toss everything together before eating.
There are many ways to vary this classic Southwest salad recipe and make it your own.
Although a Santa Fe salad is typically made with sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts or shredded rotisserie chicken, you can change up the meat. Try ground beef with taco seasoning or grilled shrimp instead. Sliced turkey chops are a tasty option too.
Don't be afraid to experiment with different salad dressings - Ranch, Chipotle Ranch, and Cilantro Lime all go great with this dish.
No matter how you make it, the Santa Fe style salad is sure to be a hit!
This salad combines fresh vegetables, beans, and meat to make a filling and satisfying meal. Here are some tips for making the best Santa Fe Salad.
- Use mixed greens. Start with a bed of fresh greens, such as romaine lettuce or spinach.
- Mix in colorful toppings. Add diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, and corn for a colorful and nutritious salad.
- Add beans. Black beans or pinto beans add protein and fiber to the salad, making it more filling.
- Don't skip the meat. Grilled chicken, steak, or pork make this salad a hearty entrée. You can even prepare shredded chicken in Instant Pot for the meat.
- Make homemade dressing. Dress the salad with a simple vinaigrette or ranch dressing for added flavor.
This Santa Fe Salad is a perfect lunch or dinner option when you're looking for something light, yet filling. If you want something on the side, try a Southwestern style cornbread or flatbread.
A margarita is the perfect drink to add. If you aren't into margaritas, try it with a pineapple banana smoothie.
This salad can be served chilled or at room temperature, making it a versatile dish for any occasion.
To make this salad ahead of time, simply prepare the dressing and chop the vegetables the night before. Store everything separately in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
When you're ready to eat, simply assemble the salad and toss everything together.
A Santa Fe salad typically includes toppings such as grilled chicken, black beans, corn, avocado, and tomato.
Yes, you can make the southwestern salad ahead of time. Just be sure to add the dressing right before you serve it.
There are a lot of different ways you could make a Santa Fe salad, but a common dressing is a ranch or southwest-style dressing. You could also use a vinaigrette or a light, citrusy dressing. It really depends on your personal preferences and what you're putting in the salad.
Santa Fe Salad For One
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 smidgen garlic powder
- 1 smidgen salt
- 2 ¼ cup romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 3 ounces grilled chicken sliced
- ½ medium ripe avocado sliced
- 5 Grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons Cooked Corn Kernels
- ⅓ cup drained canned black beans
- 2 tablespoons shredded Pepper Jack cheese or white cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons tortilla chip strips Homemade
- Combine salad dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Place prepared lettuce on serving plate or bowl. Top with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing on top and serve.