Savor the goodness of perfectly seasoned slow cooker chicken tacos made in the crock pot. It's a winning dinner idea for any day of the week!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Whether you're a fan of Mexican cuisine or just love a crowd-pleasing dish, these tasty tacos will surely satisfy your cravings.
Imagine tender, juicy chicken infused with delicious spices and seasonings, simmering away in your slow cooker while you go about your day. The result? A mouthwatering filling that's bursting with flavor.
Simply assemble the tacos with your favorite toppings like fresh salsa, creamy guacamole, and tangy sour cream – and voila! You've got yourself a fiesta on a plate.
Not only do crockpot chicken tacos provide an explosion of taste, but they also offer incredible convenience. With minimal prep time and the ability to cook unattended, you can come home to a delicious meal ready to be devoured.
Reasons to Love
- Effortless cooking. Forget about standing by the stove, stirring and monitoring the heat. With a Crock-Pot, all you need to do is add your ingredients, set the timer, and go about your day with this easy chicken recipe.
- Amazing flavors that develop during the slow cooking process. As the chicken cooks slowly over low heat, its natural juices infuse with seasonings, creating a rich and savory taste profile. This method allows all the ingredients to meld together beautifully, resulting in a harmonious blend of flavors that is simply irresistible.
- Versatile toppings and fillings make it easy to customize. Whether you prefer a traditional approach with fresh salsa, guacamole, and sour cream or like experimenting with unique combinations like pineapple salsa or chipotle mayo, there's no shortage of options.
One of the best things about using a crock pot is how easy it makes cooking. So grab your tortillas and get ready to make chicken tacos!
Say goodbye to expensive grocery bills with this wallet-friendly recipe. You'll only need a few basic ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- Tortillas or taco shells
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream
Scroll down to the chicken taco recipe card for quantities used.
One of the best things about using a crock pot is how easy it makes cooking. Grab your tortillas and get ready to make the chicken in your slow cooker.
Place all the ingredients for the homemade taco seasoning in a small container.
Whisk the seasonings together.
Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and pour the seasoning mixture over them.
Cook chicken on low heat for 4-6 hours or on high heat for 2-3 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks.
Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix it with the remaining juices and seasonings to enhance the flavor.
Serve the slow cooker chicken in taco shells or tortillas. Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
Hint: Leave the crock pot on warm for serving.
There are plenty of easy recipe variations to try. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Explore different seasoning options - Consider using traditional taco seasoning for a classic taste or experiment with homemade spice blends to create a unique twist. You can even use BBQ sauce for a sweet and smoky flavor.
- Experiment with various toppings - Salsa adds a refreshing kick, while guacamole brings a creamy texture to each bite. For those who enjoy a touch of tanginess, sour cream is an excellent choice. Mix and match these toppings to find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds. Fresh herbs like cilantro or black beans make great toppings too!
- Use different types of tortillas - Corn tortillas offer an authentic taste and slightly chewy texture, while flour tortillas provide a soft and malleable base for your fillings. You can even try using flavored tortillas like spinach or tomato for added variety.
- Try making buffalo slow-cooker chicken tacos. Mix some hot sauce into your crock pot with the other ingredients and let it simmer away until the chicken is fork-tender. Or try using our slow cooker buffalo chicken dip for a creamy alternative.
- Speed up the cooking time by using your Instant Pot. By pressure-cooking, you can have tender and flavorful chicken for your tacos in a fraction of the time.
- Change the meat. Use chicken thighs instead of breast meat. The dark meat will add more flavor and fat than white meat. You can also use browned ground beef for beef tacos.
- Start with frozen chicken. If you forgot to thaw your meat, you can just allow the meat to slow cook longer.
You can also use the shredded crock pot chicken on a Mexican pizza.
Top tip: Shred the chicken for maximum flavor absorption. Once your chicken is tender and cooked through in the crock pot, take it out and shred it using two forks or a pair of meat claws. Shredding the chicken not only makes it easier to use as taco filling but also allows it to soak up even more of those delicious flavors from the cooking liquid.
- Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot for an additional 30 minutes or so on low heat to help infuse all the tasty juices into each piece.
- Shred the chicken while it's still warm. This will ensure an even distribution of flavors throughout every bite.
Sure, you can stick with the traditional toppings of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sour cream - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if you want to add more excitement and flavor to your Taco Tuesday, here are a few suggestions:
- Transform your leftovers into delicious nachos. Layer tortilla strips or chips, cheese, and shredded chicken on a baking sheet, then bake until the cheese is melted and the nachos are crispy. This is an easy way to repurpose any extra taco ingredients.
- Serve the slow cooker chicken taco meat over a bed of lettuce for a refreshing taco salad. Salads are a great way to incorporate healthy greens while still enjoying all the flavors of traditional tacos.
- Make enchiladas. Roll the slow cooker chicken in tortillas, top with your favorite sauce and cheese, then bake until bubbly. The result is a satisfying dish that will impress your family or guests.
Leftover chicken taco meat can be a delicious addition to future meals if stored properly. To keep the flavors intact, it's important to store the meat in an airtight container or freezer bag. For added convenience, consider portioning out individual servings before freezing. This way, you can easily defrost only what you need for upcoming quick and easy meals.
Another creative way to store leftover chicken taco meat is by transforming it into a new dish. Use the shredded meat as a filling for quesadillas or enchiladas, or mix it into hearty soups or chili recipe. The possibilities are endless! By repurposing your leftovers, not only will you cut down on food waste but also explore exciting new flavor combinations.
Want to try more easy Southwest dishes? Here are some of our simple small-batch recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos in Crock Pot
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Taco Seasoning Blend
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to your spice preference
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Taco shells or tortillas
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- In a jug, mix together all the ingredients for the homemade taco seasoning.
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Pour the homemade taco seasoning over the chicken breasts.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or on high heat for 2-3 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and easily shredded.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix it with the remaining juices and seasonings to enhance the flavor.
- Serve the slow cooker chicken in taco shells or tortillas.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
- Enjoy your delicious slow cooker chicken tacos!