When it's cold outside and you are craving something hearty, this crock pot chili for two is the perfect dish. The best part is that it can be made ahead and left to cook until you are ready to eat.
When it's chilly outside, there's nothing better than a steaming bowl of chili. But if you're cooking for just two people, a traditional recipe can leave you with leftovers for days.
This crock pot chili is the perfect solution - it makes just enough for two hearty servings, and it's easy to make in the slow cooker. Just throw all of the ingredients in the pot in the morning, and come home to a delicious dinner waiting for you.
When it comes to comfort food, few things hit the spot quite like a big bowl of chili. Although this recipe is the perfect size for two people, it can easily be doubled or tripled if you're feeding a crowd.
The recipe uses simple ingredients that you may already have on hand. Canned goods make the recipe easy to whip up quickly once the meat is browned.
- Ground beef or other ground meat - Although ground beef is typically used, other meats like ground chicken or turkey work well too.
- Aromatics - A little onion and garlic really up the flavor!
- Canned tomato sauce - For this red chili, we add one small can of sauce.
- Dark red kidney beans - Kidney beans are traditionally used but feel free to replace them with another bean or diced veggies.
- Seasonings - You'll need chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. We also add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
This slow-cooker chili is packed with flavor and has just the right amount of spice. And best of all, it's easy to make. Just throw everything in the Crock Pot and let it do its thing.
Add ground meat to a pre-heated skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
After about 2 minutes, add chopped onion. Then add garlic when meat is almost done browning.
Transfer meat to a small crock pot.
Add remaining ingredients.
Stir everything together until combined.
Cook on low 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Tip: Brown the meat ahead with onion and garlic and freeze in an airtight container or bag. That way, it will be ready to go!
When it comes to chili, the sky’s the limit. There are so many different ways to make it, and every cook has their own secret ingredient or technique.
- Use a variety of beans. This dish is all about the beans, so don’t be afraid to mix it up. Black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans…they’re all great options.
- Make a pot pie. Divide the chili into individual pie dishes and add a mini pie crust on top then bake in the oven until crust is lightly browned.
- Add some spice. Don’t be shy with the spices. Add a little (or a lot) of cayenne pepper, chili powder, or hot pepper sauce to give it some kick. You can even try adding a garlic chutney!
- Make it with no beans. If you don't care for beans, just replace it with diced vegetables. Zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms work well.
- Add water. For a thinner chili, you can add about a half cup of water.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the best chili possible:
- Let it simmer. The longer you let it simmer, the better it will taste.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. This will make a big difference in the flavor of your chili.
- Sauté aromatics like onion and garlic before adding them to the crock pot. This will help to bring out their flavor.
- Add a combination of different types of peppers. This will give the dish a more complex flavor.
- Try different variations. Don't be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and spices.
Chili is a great winter dish that can be served in many different ways. Here are some tips on how to serve chili, as well as what to serve with it.
Add a garnish like shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, or a sprinkling of tortilla strips on top.
If you have leftover chili, the best way to store it is in an airtight container in the fridge. Chili will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze chili, place it in a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It's very easy to make crock pot chili for 2 people. Just cook the meat then put everything in the crock pot and let it cook for a few hours.
All you need is ground meat, a can of beans, some chopped onions, garlic, and seasonings.
One way is to use a slow cooker or Crock-Pot. Another way is to cook the chili on the stove over low heat. Whichever method you choose, be sure to add enough liquid (water, broth, etc.) to cover the beans and meat. Cook for 4-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add a dessert for two when sharing this cozy meal with a friend. Here's a few recipes that can be doubled for two servings.
Looking for another savory recipe? Slow cooker chicken breasts is another easy crock pot recipe that can be scaled down for two.
Crock Pot Chili For Two
- ½ pound ground beef or other ground meat
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped or 1 tablespoon dry chopped onions
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 15.5 ounces canned dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup water optional but recommended
- Add ground meat to a pre-heated skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. After about 2 minutes, add chopped onion. Add minced garlic when meat is almost done browning, about 4 or 5 minutes after initial cooking. Drain fat and add to a small crock pot.
- Rinse and drain canned kidney beans. Add to crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.