This easy and delicious hot chocolate mug cake is the perfect winter treat! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this mug cake can be enjoyed in less than 5 minutes!
Need a quick and easy dessert? This hot cocoa mug cake is a perfect option!
Made with just a few simple ingredients, this rich and chocolatey cake can be ready in minutes. Serve topped with whipped cream or marshmallows for an extra special treat.
This cake is perfect for those who crave something sweet but do not want to make an entire cake.
The hot chocolate mug cake is also great for those who live alone or do not have access to an oven. All you need for this recipe is a mug, some simple ingredients, and a microwave.
This microwave cake is perfect for using up hot cocoa mix when you aren't in the mood for hot chocolate! You only need a few more ingredients to make the cake.
Here's a list of everything you'll need:
- Hot cocoa mix
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
See recipe card for quantities.
This cake is so easy to make! Just dump all the ingredients into a mug or ramekin, then microwave until done. That's it!
Stir together dry ingredients in a microwaveable mug.
Add the wet ingredients to the mug.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Microwave 60-90 seconds until cake is cooked throughout.
Any of the 1.38 oz packets of Swiss Miss Cocoa should work. We really like the salted caramel flavor!
- Start with a good quality hot chocolate mix. This will be the base of your cake, so you want it to be flavorful.
- Add some instant coffee to the mix for an extra boost of flavor. Coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate so adding just a little bit of instant coffee will make your cake taste more chocolatey!
- Use milk instead of water for a richer cake.
- Stir in a spoonful or two of Nutella for an extra decadent treat.
- Top your mug cake with whipped cream and mini marshmallows for the ultimate cozy dessert.
Top your mug cake with whipped cream and mini marshmallows for the ultimate cozy dessert.
For a happy hour treat, add in an Irish coffee!
The best way to store a hot chocolate mug cake is wrap the top of the mug or ramekin with plastic wrap over cooled cake. This will help to keep the cake moist and prevent it from drying out. You can store at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Another option for storing your hot chocolate mug cake is to freeze it. To freeze your mug cake, remove from mug or ramekin and place it in an airtight container and put it in the freezer for up to a year.
If you don't have a microwave or choose not to use it, just bake the cake in a 350°F/177°C oven until cake tests done.
In an airtight container, the cake will keep for up to four days at room temperature, two weeks in the refrigerator, and up to a year in the freezer.
Looking for a few more single serve desserts? These are a couple of our more popular recipes.
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 packet Swiss Miss® Hot Cocoa Mix 1.38 oz single serving size
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar use more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- chocolate chips
- candy pieces
- chopped nuts
- mini marshmallows
- whipped cream
- chocolate sauce
- ice cream
- In a large coffee mug, mix all the dry ingredients together until uniform.
- Add butter and water stir until it forms a smooth batter.
- Stir in any optional ingredients to customize your mug cake.
- Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until it tests done. The top of the cake should be slightly wet in the center and spring back when gently pressed.
- Let cool slightly. If desired, sprinkle on optional toppings. Enjoy!