Packed full of crunchy vegetables and savory bacon, this broccoli salad with bacon is sure to be a hit. It is an easy, delicious side dish for any meal.
This classic salad recipe combines crisp broccoli florets with smoky bacon bits. It's then dressed with a simple homemade vinaigrette that consists of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar.
The addition of creamy mayonnaise and tangy vinegar gives the salad dressing a unique flavor that will have you wanting seconds. Not only is this recipe super simple to make, but it's also incredibly nutritious and filling!
With just five essential ingredients and minimal prep work, this salad comes together in no time at all! It's also easy to customize with a number of optional add-ins.
To make the basic salad, you'll need the following items.
You can also add these optional items.
- Sunflower seeds
- Dried cranberries or raisins
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped red onion
See recipe card for quantities.
The key to this easy broccoli salad recipe with bacon is using the freshest ingredients possible. Start by grabbing some crisp heads of broccoli from the produce section of your local grocery store, farmer's market, or your own garden.
Add mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar into a mixing bowl.
Whisk the ingredients together until well combined into a creamy dressing.
Add the broccoli florets and bacon pieces.
Toss everything together in the tangy dressing.
Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to let all those delicious flavors come together – you won't be disappointed!
If you're looking for creative ways to make this bacon broccoli salad recipe extra special, mix in your favorite add-ins. Optional ingredients like shredded cheddar cheese, sliced almonds, and sunflower seeds are perfect additions.
You can also add blanched cauliflower for a delicious broccoli cauliflower salad with the crispy bacon.
For those who prefer less fat, try substituting turkey bacon instead of pork bacon. If you're feeling adventurous, sprinkle some chopped pecans or walnuts into the mix for an added crunchy texture as well as flavor.
You can also add some protein to the salad such as grilled chicken, boiled eggs, or beans. Or, experiment with different types of cheese, such as feta, gouda, or blue cheese.
Following these tips will ensure your broccoli bacon salad comes out amazing every time.
- Blanch the broccoli first. This will slightly soften the broccoli and bring out a deeper green color.
- Add crunchy ingredients such as nuts, crumbled bacon, or diced red onions to add texture to the salad.
- Allow the salad to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving, to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Adjust the ingredients to taste, feel free to add more or less of any ingredient to suit your personal preferences.
This easy broccoli salad with bacon is the perfect side dish for a small family gathering or intimate summer picnic. The flavorful combination of fresh ingredients can be made ahead of time for stress-free entertaining.
Try serving it with burgers or steak kabobs in the oven for a cookout feel anytime. It’s also fantastic when served alongside grilled vegetables and corn on the cob, creating an attractive vegetable platter that everyone will love.
The salad is light yet satisfying making it perfect as a side or even as an entree alongside some crusty bread or crackers! Another option is to turn it into a main course entrée by adding shredded chicken or roasted chickpeas for added protein.
To store leftover broccoli salad, transfer it to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. It should keep for up to four days. Before eating, give it a stir or mix to recombine the ingredients.
The salad typically contains bacon, broccoli, red onion, mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. You can also add other ingredients such as dried cranberries or sunflower seeds for extra flavor.
Blanching broccoli for a salad helps to soften the texture and bring out its flavor. It also helps preserve the vibrant green color of the vegetable. Blanching is done by briefly boiling or steaming the broccoli and then quickly submerging it in ice water to stop the cooking process. This technique ensures that your salad will have perfectly cooked, crunchy, flavorful broccoli every time.
It is a great side dish for any meal. It pairs well with grilled chicken, fish, or steak. You could also serve it with a grain-based dish like quinoa or couscous.
Broccoli salad with bacon is a delicious lunch idea for one. Here are a few more recipes to try.
- Santa Fe salad is a classic southwestern dish featuring a variety of fresh, flavorful ingredients.
- Beef quesadillas are a delicious and simple Mexican dish that can be enjoyed as a snack, appetizer or main course.
- Minestrone soup is filled with vegetables, protein, and pasta, making it a hearty and satisfying dish.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 10 ounces broccoli cut into florets
- 4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Then, immediately transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. This will help keep the broccoli bright green and crisp.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Toss in the broccoli and bacon until well coated with the dressing.
Gosh you had me at bacon. Bacon just makes things to much better. Loved it. Thank you for sharing.
I loved this bacon and broccoli salad. I used a low carb sugar substitute to keep it low carb. It was delicious, thank you!
This was so very good! I usually don't like broccoli but as I am trying to eat healthier I decided to give this a go. I am so glad I did! The dressing was amazing. I did go with your suggestion and use Turkey bacon and sunflower seeds. That added so much as far as flavor and texture. Thanks for a great recipe!
A family favorite! I love how simple this recipe is and there are never any leftovers. Everyone gobbles it up. I always add onion, cheese and sunflower seeds. The combination of textures and savory/lightly sweet flavors with creamy dressing is always a hit.
The dressing is amazing! We love a good broccoli salad, and we used your recipe and added sunflower seeds and red onioin. Wow!