A fresh and flavorful side dish that you can enjoy year-round is green bean tomato salad. Not only is this delicious salad easy to prepare, but it also contains healthy ingredients that will make you feel great after eating it.
This simple salad is a healthy and delicious side dish. Not only is it packed full of fresh and flavorful ingredients, but it’s also really easy to put together.
It's a great way to enjoy the traditional taste of fresh green beans and tomatoes while adding zest with the addition of salty feta cheese. This creative combination provides a punch of flavor with every bite!
The feta cheese also adds a creamy texture, while the olive oil creates a fantastic dressing that ties everything together nicely. Adding other ingredients like herbs or olives is an easy way to change the texture and flavor of the side dish.
This savory green bean and tomato salad with feta has a refreshing flavor that everyone will love. All you need to make it are simple ingredients from your local grocery store or farmers' market.
Here's what you'll need to make the recipe:
- green beans
- cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- red onion
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
Scroll down to the recipe card for the amount of each ingredient used.
With just a few simple steps, you can make this side dish recipe in no time! First, gather all of the ingredients. Next, prep the vegetables by slicing the green beans, cutting the tomatoes, and chopping the onion.
Place the green beans in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, then cook until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
In a jar or bowl, add all the dressing ingredients.
Shake or stir to combine everything together well.
Transfer to the cooled green beans to a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, red onion, and dressing.
Toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate.
For the best taste, let the salad sit in the refrigerator for at least two hours. This allows the flavor of the dressing to soak into the vegetables.
The best part about this green bean salad recipe is its versatility – it can easily be modified to suit different tastes and dietary restrictions. Whether you don’t eat dairy or are looking for something vegan-friendly, this salad has many variations to meet your needs.
You can easily made the salad vegan by swapping out the feta cheese for vegan cheese made from nuts and seeds. Or, just leave the cheese out.
For those who prefer their salads to have more crunch, add some vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, or cauliflower. These additions will provide a nice contrast in texture.
For those who want to add more sweetness, try adding honey-roasted almonds or candied pecan to the mix. If you're looking for something with more savory notes, swap out feta cheese for Parmesan or Gorgonzola crumbles and top it off with garlic-infused olive oil.
For an especially tasty green bean salad, follow these tips for maximum flavor.
- Choose fresh, firm green beans for the best texture. Blanching gives them a crisp-tender texture while preserving their bright green color.
- Use tomatoes that are ripe but still slightly firm. If you want to bring out more of their natural sweetness, sprinkle them with a little bit of sugar before adding them to the dish.
- Don't skimp on the feta cheese. It adds a nice creamy texture and salty flavor that really completes this dish.
- Add fresh garlic to the dressing for a more aromatic flavor.
- Top each serving with freshly cracked black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. The topping will give the salad an extra boost of flavor.
This green bean salad with cherry tomatoes is a light, refreshing side dish that can be enjoyed as a part of any meal. With its bright colors and Mediterranean feel, this salad is sure to be a hit at any dinner table.
Enjoy it as an entree with grilled chicken or fish for protein. If you want something more casual, try serving the salad in a small bowl over mixed greens and grilled meat for an easy meal-in-one option. It's an excellent side for a hot and fast brisket too.
Store the leftover green bean tomato salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to four days. When you're ready to eat it, remove it from the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
The best way to eat green beans is to steam or lightly sauté them. Another healthy option is to enjoy them blanched to crisp-tender in a salad.
It depends on what you plan to do with them. It is not necessary to cut off the tops when steaming. If you are sautéing or stir-frying them, it is best to trim the ends and cut them into smaller pieces for even cooking. For a salad or other cold dish, cutting off the tops can improve their appearance and make them easier to eat.
Yes, you can substitute regular green beans for French green beans in a salad. Regular green beans are more widely available and are usually less expensive than French green beans. They have a slightly different flavor profile, but they will still add crunch and texture to your salad.
Want to check out some more simple side dish recipes? Here are a few more of our favorites.
- Vegan Mexican rice is an easy and delicious way to add a flavorful twist to your meal.
- Broccoli salad with bacon is a classic summer side that's sure to be a hit.
- Scalloped potatoes for two lets you enjoy the beloved side without making a big batch.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Green Bean Tomato Salad with Feta
- ¾ pound French green beans sliced on angle
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes quartered (or grape tomatoes)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper
- Place the green beans in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain the green beans and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
- In a jar or bowl, blend the dressing ingredients together. Shake or stir before using.
- Transfer to the cooled green beans to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, red onion, and dressing. Toss to coat.
I can't begin to explain just how great this side dish was at a recent event! I got SO many compliments, thank you SO much for this awesome recipe, sweetie!
Who would have thought to add green beans? It was delicious!
Delicious, simple, easy to make and I LOVE this dressing! Thank you!
What a hit! This easy salad pops with flavor! It's light and refreshing with the simple vinaigrette. But there's something so satisfying about it. I took leftovers for lunch today. Yum!
One of my favorite salads! It’s always so light and delicious! Loved it with feta!