Are you tired of the same old grilled shrimp skewers? Why not try making them in an air fryer? It's a great alternative to an outdoor grill that produces the same crispy texture and delicious flavor.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Using an air fryer for grilling shrimp kabobs has many benefits. It cooks food quickly and evenly, so your shrimp will be perfectly cooked every time. Plus, there's no need to fire up the grill for a single serving.
Cooking shrimp on skewers in an air fryer is incredibly easy and quick. Use the seasonings of your choice, then place them in the air fryer basket or tray. Follow the instructions for cooking time and temperature based on the size of your shrimp.
The result is mouth-watering shrimp skewers with a crispy exterior and juicy interior to satisfy your seafood cravings. But you can always cook the kebobs on a grill or grill pan with similar results.
Reasons to Love
- Healthier Option: Air frying shrimp is a healthier alternative to pan frying, as it requires little or no oil for cooking.
- Quick and Easy: The air fryer cooks food quickly, making it an ideal choice for busy individuals who want to have healthy meals without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Versatile Recipe: Shrimp skewers can be seasoned with various spices and herbs, making them a versatile recipe that can be customized according to your preferences.
- Perfectly Cooked: The air fryer ensures that the shrimp skewers are perfectly cooked on all sides, resulting in juicy and succulent shrimp.
- Great Appetizer: Shrimp skewers are an excellent appetizer at parties or gatherings with friends and family.
This grilled shrimp recipe includes shrimp, veggies, and simple spices. You will also need either wooden skewers or metal skewers.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- large shrimp (or jumbo shrimp)
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- BBQ seasoning
- salt & pepper
- olive oil spray (optional)
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
First, you'll get your air fryer or grill preheated. Then, follow the simple step-by-step directions below.
Season shrimp with salt, black pepper, and BBQ seasoning. Let the shrimp marinade spices soak in for about 15 minutes.
Insert red onion onto a skewer, then thread the shrimp, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper. Repeat to complete one skewer. Make 3 more the same way.
Transfer skewered shrimp and vegetables onto Air Fryer tray (or place shrimp onto a heated grill). Slightly spray with olive oil, if using. Then cook the shrimp.
Turn food half-way through. Cooking time is about 8 minutes for air frying and 6 minutes for grilling.
Serve with fresh lemon wedges and parsley, if desired.
There are many ways to make shrimp skewers. If you want to change the recipe, try one of these ideas.
- Change up the seasoning. Try different dry spice blends like Cajun, lemon pepper, or Old Bay.
- Use different vegetables. Zucchini, red onion, and cherry tomatoes are perfect for grilled skewers.
- Add pineapple chunks. The sweetness of the fruit pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of shrimp and vegetables.
Following these tips will ensure you get the best results.
- Preheat your air fryer or grill before adding in your marinated shrimp.
- Don't overcrowd. Arrange the skewers in a single layer inside your air fryer basket or grill, making sure not to overcrowd them as this will prevent even cooking.
- Spray (or brush) with oil. A light oil coating on each skewered shrimp helps ensure they don't stick together during cooking.
- Flip halfway through. After about 3-4 minutes of cooking time, flip each skewered shrimp over so that both sides cook evenly.
Grilled shrimp skewers are a delicious and versatile dish that can be served in many ways. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- As an appetizer: Serve the skewers on a platter with a dipping sauce such as garlic aioli, sweet chili sauce or mango salsa.
- As a main course: Place the skewers on a bed of Mexican rice or quinoa with a side of vegetables or gluten-free tabbouleh. Or, serve it with a simple green salad.
- In tacos: Remove the shrimp from the skewer and place them in warm tortillas with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, and your favorite taco toppings.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When ready to reheat, place them on the grill or in the air fryer for a quick and easy meal.
To freeze your leftover shrimp skewers, allow them to cool completely before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months.
Want a few more meals for one with seafood? Check out these recipes too.
- Panko fried shrimp has a crispy outside and juice inside.
- Seafood pasta salad is perfect for summer.
- Corn and shrimp bisque is a creamy and hearty soup.
- Seafood pot pie is easy to make with frozen seafood and vegetables.
- Lemon butter fish takes little effort to make.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers (Air Fryer or Grill)
- 8 pieces large shrimp deveined and tails intact
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- 1 medium fresh lemon
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil spray optional
- Pre-heat Air Fryer, using the “Grill” function with an automatic temperature set at 400°F (205°C). Set at 8 minutes. NOTE: If your appliance doesn't have that function, manually set the temperature to 400°F (205°C). For a grill, preheat it to about 400°F.
- Season shrimp with salt, black pepper, and BBQ seasoning. Marinate for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut vegetables - red onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper into 8 equal chunks.
- Get one bamboo skewer. Insert red onion, shrimp, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper. Do this again to complete one set with 2 shrimp on each skewer. Makes a total of 4 sets.
- Gently transfer skewered shrimp and vegetables onto Air Fryer tray (or onto preheated grill). Slightly spray with olive oil, if using. Slowly insert tray into the middle cooking chamber, near the rotisserie catch.
- Turn food half-way through (4 minutes for air fryer or 3 minutes for grill). No need to wait for the “turn food” reminder provided by the Air Fryer. See tips or notes when turning food.
- Wait for the timer to end and the Air Fryer to stop before opening the oven door or once shrimp and vegetables are fully cooked, press “cancel” from the Air Fryer settings.