This refreshing and light seafood pasta salad is the perfect dish for summer. It combines shrimp, crab, and pasta in a flavorful creamy dressing.
For those who love seafood, a pasta salad with crab meat and shrimp can be perfect for any occasion. It's a tasty side dish to take to summer picnics, as it goes well with grilled chicken and burgers.
The combination of fresh seafood and pasta creates a genuinely indulgent dish. Whether you're looking for something quick to prepare for lunch or something special to serve at dinner, this salad recipe will not disappoint.
To make this delicious salad, you only need some simple ingredients. The main ingredients are pasta and cooked seafood.
Here are the items you'll need to make the seafood salad recipe:
- shell pasta (or a small pasta noodle like macaroni)
- canned crab meat (or imitation crab)
- cooked shrimp
- sour cream
- Dijon mustard
- dried dill
- lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- fresh parsley
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
A seafood salad with pasta is easy to prepare. Just follow these simple step-by-step directions.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, then rinse with cold water.
Set aside in a strainer and allow to drain.
Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, celery stalk, capers, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix to combine.
Stir the pasta in.
Add shrimp and crab meat and gently toss
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
There are countless ways to change a seafood pasta salad recipe to suit individual preferences. Here are a few things you can try.
- Try a pasta alternative. For those who prefer a lighter dish, using shirataki pasta instead of traditional pasta can help reduce carbs and calories without sacrificing taste.
- Experiment with other types of seafood. Cooked shrimp, lump crab meat from a crab boil recipe, and canned tuna are popular choices but feel free to try other types of seafood. Salmon, imitation crabmeat, clams, or mussels are good options.
- Include diced avocados for added texture and creaminess.
- Swap out the mayo-based dressing for a vinaigrette. A dressing made with lemon juice and olive oil works well.
- Use Old Bay seasoning and fresh crab meat for a Maryland-style dish.
- Give it a Mediterranean flair using tomatoes and olives with an Italian dressing.
- Add crunchy vegetables such as celery, carrots, red bell peppers, or cucumbers for texture and flavor.
Follow these quick tips for the best seafood pasta salad.
- Use high-quality ingredients like fresh seafood whenever you can.
- Cook pasta al dente. Make sure you don't overcook your pasta or it will be mushy when you add it to the salad.
- Chill before serving. The salad tastes best cold after the flavors have had a chance to meld together in the refrigerator.
Chilled seafood pasta salad is a refreshing and satisfying dish for hot summer days. Serve it in a large bowl or platter and enjoy it as a side to dinner or a main course for lunch.
To enhance the flavor of your salad, consider adding fresh herbs like basil or parsley before serving. You can also drizzle olive oil on top for an extra flavor boost. Serve with crusty bread or garlic toast for a complete meal.
Refrigerate the cooled salad in an airtight container for up to four days. Additionally, when serving the salad, make sure to check its temperature and enjoy within two hours of taking it out of the refrigerator to prevent spoiling.
Want a few more summer favorites? Try one of these other salad recipes.
- Greek chopped salad is packed with cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and olives.
- Easy broccoli salad is perfect for summer potlucks or as a side dish anytime
- Radish salad is a great light lunch idea or side dish.
- Green bean and tomato salad is a tasty way to enjoy summer veggies.
- Salmon salad is a delicious and healthy meal idea.
Seafood Pasta Salad
- 7 oz shell pasta or any other small pasta
- 6 oz canned crab meat
- 6 oz cooked shrimp
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 celery stalk thinly diced
- 1 teaspoon capers
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Bring a large pot with salted water to boil. Cook the pasta as per package instructions. Once done, rinse in cold water, drain and reserve.
- To a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, celery stalk, capers, and lemon juice salt and pepper. Mix with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Add pasta, mix then the cooked shrimp and crab meat and gently toss to coat.
- Once the salad is ready, transfer to a salad or serving bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until served. Garnish with fresh parsley.