The flavors of this copycat Panera chipotle chicken avocado melt are hard to beat. Discover how to make this classic sandwich at home.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Forget about spending money at Panera Bread, you can recreate this delectable melt right in your kitchen. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you'll soon be savoring every bite of this tasty sandwich.
Reasons to Love
- A perfect flavor combination. The chipotle chilies add a fiery kick, while the chicken brings savory goodness. The avocado, cheese, and buttery bread perfectly complement the primary flavors.
- Makes a quick lunch or hearty dinner. Packed with protein from the chicken and healthy fats from the avocado, it offers a satisfying and nourishing meal option.
This mouthwatering sandwich combines bold flavors and fresh ingredients for a unique taste sensation.
These are the items used in the recipe:
- shredded or pulled chicken
- focaccia bread
- chipotle sauce (chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- Peppadew pepper slices
- fresh cilantro
- smoked gouda cheese
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Once you've gathered all the ingredients, it's time to make the sandwich. Just follow these easy step-by-step directions.
Place mayonnaise into a food processor.
Add chipotle pepper to mayo and blend until smooth.
Layer the shredded chicken on the top of the bottom slice of bread.
Top the chicken with peppadew pepper slices.
Add a slice of gouda and the avocado slices.
Sprinkle cilantro over the avocado then top with another slice of gouda.
Spread the chipotle mayo on the other bread slice before using it to top off your sandwich.
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Toast both sides of the sandwich in the skillet.
Hint: If you don't have a small food processor, simply mix together the chipotle mayonnaise ingredients together in a small bowl by hand.
This Panera copycat recipe can be easily modified to suit your preferences. Here are some easy ways to change up the sandwich:
- Add bacon: Make your melt even more mouthwatering by adding crispy bacon. It will add smokiness to the melt.
- Swap out ingredients: Experiment with different cheeses, veggies, or even try a vegetarian version by using grilled tofu instead of chicken. An air fryer Cornish hen or slow cooker Chipotle Chicken is an excellent option for the meat too.
- Make it low-carb: Wrap all the delicious fillings in crisp lettuce leaves for a refreshing low-carb twist.
- Add some sliced tomatoes and lettuce to create an even more refreshing experience.
- Vary the bread. Other types of bread work well for the sandwich, like sourdough bread or ciabatta rolls.
- Add ground black pepper. You can sprinkle pepper on the bread slices or add some to the mayonnaise mixture.
You can even make a no-knead Italian artisan bread loaf for the bread in the chipotle chicken avocado melt recipe.
Top tip: Don't skip the toasting step at the end. It gives the sandwich some crunch and warmth.
- A rotisserie chicken can be shredded for the meat in the sandwich.
- Cover the pan when toasting to melt the cheese.
It can also be served with a radish salad for a cool and crunchy accompaniment. The creamy dressing provides a satisfying contrast to the warm and spicy flavors of the sandwich.
Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. Place the wrapped sandwich in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days for optimal taste and quality.
Want to try a few more easy lunch ideas for one or two people? Here are a few of our favorite recipes.
- Baked popcorn chicken
- Seafood pasta salad recipe is quick and easy to prepare.
- Quesadillas de carne asada are a Mexican favorite.
- Pizza for one is simple to make and easy to customize.
- Chili for two cooks up quickly in a slow cooker.
Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt (Panera Copycat)
- 5 ounces shredded chicken
- 2 slices focaccia bread or similar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ medium chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ¼ medium avocado sliced thinly
- Peppadew pepper slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 slices smoked gouda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place the mayonnaise and chipotle pepper into a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Spread the chipotle mayo on the half of the bread that will be the top of your sandwich.
- Layer the shredded chicken on top of the other slice of bread.
- Top the chicken with peppadew pepper slices, then a slice of gouda and the avocado slices. Sprinkle cilantro over the avocado.
- Place a remaining slice of cheese on top before placing the other slice of bread mayo side down on top.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Toast both sides of the sandwich in the skillet and then serve.