For a quick snack idea, try these delicious ham and cheese Hawaiian roll sliders. They are perfect for lunch or as an appetizer at small gatherings.
These mini sandwiches are incredibly delicious and offer a unique twist on traditional sliders. Combining the soft and slightly sweet Hawaiian rolls with savory fillings creates a flavor profile that is simply irresistible.
Whether you're hosting an intimate backyard barbecue or a game night with friends, their small size and tasty flavor make them the perfect party snack. Plus, they can be made in advance and heated up right before serving, saving you time and allowing you to focus on enjoying the gathering rather than being stuck in the kitchen.
Reasons to Love
- Compact size. One of the reasons why ham and cheese sliders are perfect for parties is their bite-sized nature. They allow guests to quickly grab them and mingle without worrying about messy hands or needing utensils.
- Sweetness balances saltiness. The sweetness of the rolls balances out the saltiness of the filling. The Hawaiian sweet rolls add a touch of sweetness that enhances the overall flavor profile. It's like having a little burst of sunshine in every bite!
- Easy to make for everyone. They are simple to assemble and perfect for busy weeknights or casual gatherings with friends and family. You can make ahead of time and bake just before serving for quick bites any time.
The recipe includes a delicious poppy butter topping. This savory sauce is brushed over the rolls before baking and adds a nutty aroma and a delightful crunch.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this Hawaiian roll slider recipe:
- Hawaiian rolls
- deli ham
- Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard
- onion powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- poppy seeds
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Making Hawaiian roll sliders is a breeze, even if you're not an experienced cook. Follow these simple steps to create mouthwatering sliders in no time.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and cut the rolls in half. Fold a piece of ham into fourths and place on the bottom of each roll.
Fold the Swiss cheese slices into fourths, and place two of the pieces onto the top of each piece of ham on the rolls.
Add the last four slices of ham to the top of each slider. Put the tops on the rolls, and place them into a well greased baking dish or sheet pan.
Pour melted butter into a medium mixing bowl.
Sprinkle onion powder onto butter.
Add Dijon mustard.
Pour in Worcestershire sauce and whisk everything together.
Brush the butter mixture onto the tops of the rolls.
Sprinkle poppy seeds on top of the ham and Swiss slider butter sauce.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and rolls are browned.
Hint: Brush the sauce evenly and generously over the top of the rolls before baking. This ensures every bite is infused with that delicious, buttery flavor, and the poppy seeds adhere nicely for added texture and taste.
Want to change up the fillings? Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Meat - replace the ham with turkey for a reduced fat option. Or, try pulled pork with barbecue sauce and coleslaw. You can also make Philly cheesesteak sliders with thinly sliced ribeye steak, provolone cheese, and sautéed onions & peppers.
- Cheese - try a sharp cheddar in place of the Swiss cheese.
- Pineapple - add thin slices of pineapple for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
- Meatless - use roasted or grilled vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant instead of meat. Layer them with mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of pesto.
- Bread - you can use dinner rolls if you don't like the sweet taste of Hawaiian rolls.
Check out our copycat Panera chipotle chicken avocado melt for another easy sandwich idea.
Top tip: Layer the ham and cheese evenly over the rolls. This helps distribute the flavors and fillings consistently across all the sliders, ensuring that everyone gets a perfect combination in every bite.
- Cover the sliders with foil during the initial baking to prevent the tops from getting too brown too quickly. Then, uncover them for the final few minutes to achieve a beautiful, golden-brown crust.
- Don't rush the baking process. Allow the sliders to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the rolls are toasty.
One of the keys to creating wow-worthy Hawaiian ham sliders is the serving and presentation. So, here are some serving and presentation tips that will take your Hawaiian roll sliders to the next level.
Consider using a charcuterie wooden or slate board as your serving platter. These natural materials add rustic charm to your sliders and create a visually appealing backdrop for all those delicious toppings.
Be sure to include garnishes and decorative touches. Sliced pickles or jalapeño poppers can add a pop of flavor and visual interest to your sliders while also providing texture variation. You could also add some baked tortilla strips on the side for a little crunch
To store sliders on Hawaiian rolls, place them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and place them in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to four days.
When you're ready to enjoy your sliders again, simply reheat them in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through. This will help restore their softness and melt the cheese nicely. Remember to remove any plastic wrap or aluminum foil before reheating!
Need a few more appetizers for small gatherings with family and friends? These are some of our favorite recipes:
- Pork belly air fryer bites are perfect for dipping into sauces.
- Turkey rollups are sliced into bite-sized pinwheels.
- Air fryer lumpia is a healthier alternative to deep-fried spring rolls.
- Bacon-wrapped mini hot dogs are always a crowd-pleaser.
- Baked jalapeño dip has the perfect balance of creaminess and crunch.
Hawaiian Roll Sliders
- 4 Hawaiian rolls cut in half
- 8 Slices of deli ham
- 2 Slices Swiss cheese
- ½ Tbsp. Dijon
- 1 Tbsp. Melted butter
- ¼ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Poppy Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take the tops off of the rolls.
- Fold a piece of ham into fourths, and place it on the bottom of each roll.
- Fold the swiss cheese slices into fourths, and place two of the pieces onto the top of each piece of ham on the rolls.
- Add the last four slices of ham to the top of each slider.
- Put the tops on the rolls, and place them into a well greased baking dish or sheet pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the melted butter, worcestershire sauce, dijon and onion powder.
- Brush the mixture onto the tops of the rolls.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until browned and the cheese has melted.