Make delicious, juicy bacon-wrapped little smokies in minutes with your air fryer. They're the perfect snack or appetizer.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Who can resist the tantalizing combination of bite-sized appetizers and savory bacon? Whether hosting a party, planning a game day, or simply craving a delicious snack, smokies wrapped in bacon are the ultimate crowd-pleaser.
Not only are these appetizers incredibly tasty, but they are also quick and easy to prepare. In no time, you can have a platter full of these mouthwatering delights ready to impress your guests.
So why wait? Get ready to indulge in a delightful flavor combination with this bacon wrapped smokies recipe.
Reasons to Love
- Easy to make. All you have to do is wrap each little sausage in bacon, season and cook until the bacon is crispy.
- Ready in under 30 minutes. They are a tasty option for a quick snack or appetizer.
- Incredibly flavorful. The salty, savory flavor of the bacon and the sweetness of the little smokies create a perfect balance.
The basic recipe requires only bacon and cocktail sausages. But this recipe takes it up a notch by adding brown sugar and seasonings.
To make our recipe, you need to have the following on hand:
- little smokie sausages
- bacon slices
- light brown sugar
- BBQ seasoning
- smoked sweet paprika
- ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- toothpicks (to secure the bacon)
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
If you use an air fryer to cook your little smokies wrapped in bacon, they will have a crisp exterior and juicy interior. Oven cooking is a better option for cooking a larger batch and gives similar results.
Preheat oven or air fryer to the proper temperature and gather all your ingredients. Then, follow the simple step-by-step directions below.
In a small bowl, combine light brown sugar, BBQ seasoning, smoked sweet paprika, and ground black pepper. Set aside.
Cut bacon into thirds or fourths. Wrap one piece of bacon around each little smokies, then secure with toothpicks.
Arrange bacon-wrapped little smokies onto the Air Fryer trays or oven baking sheet.
Sprinkle one side of each bacon-wrapped cocktail sausage with the light brown mixture.
Cook for half the suggested time then flip each one and sprinkle with the remaining light brown sugar mixture.
Continue cooking and remove once they are crisp and the sugar mixture has caramelized on top.
There are many ways to make the recipe. You'll find a few ideas below.
- Add chili powder or cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix for a sweet and spicy twist. The combination of heat and sweetness is perfect for those who enjoy a little kick.
- Stuff the little smokies with cheese before wrapping them in bacon. Cut a small slit in each sausage and insert a small piece of your favorite cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack. The cheese will melt as the sausages cook, creating an ooey-gooey surprise inside each bite.
- Add a sweet and tangy glaze. After wrapping the sausages in bacon, you can brush them with a mixture of brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce instead of simply cooking them as is.
- Experiment with different combinations of spices, sauces, and toppings to create a personalized flavor profile that suits you perfectly.
Keep the following things in mind to ensure the appetizer comes out right every time.
- Use high-quality bacon for wrapping around the smokies. Thick-cut bacon works best as it won't fall apart during cooking.
- Avoid overlapping the bacon pieces. To ensure even cooking, do not overlap the bacon when wrapping them around the little smokies. This will help each piece cook uniformly and prevent undercooked or overcooked spots.
- Monitor them closely towards the end of cooking time. You want the bacon to be crispy but not burnt, so keep an eye on them and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- For easier cleanup, use aluminum foil to line the baking sheet or under the air fryer tray.
When serving bacon wrapped little smokies, the dipping sauce can make all the difference. For a classic touch, try ketchup or mustard. Alternatively, mix things with a sweet and savory dip like honey mustard or maple syrup with sriracha sauce. Barbecue sauce is another popular choice that pairs well with smoky bacon.
If enjoying with others, you can serve them with other appetizers like chicken wings or quesadillas. They can also be added to a charcuterie board with smoked shotgun shells along with the typical cured meats.
Bacon wrapped lil smokies should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can also be stored in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to two months. If storing them in the freezer, ensure they are tightly sealed and labeled with the date so you know when they were frozen.
To reheat bacon wrapped little smokies, preheat your oven or air fryer to 350°F and cook until heated throughout. You can also heat them in a microwave on high until warmed through. If reheating from frozen, add an extra minute or two to ensure that they are heated evenly.
Looking for more downsized appetizer recipes? Check out a few of our other favorites.
- Fried panko shrimp is a tasty finger food that is perfect for dipping.
- Air fryer cabbage wedges are another tasty treat wrapped in bacon.
- Zucchini bruschetta is a healthier low-carb and gluten-free option.
- Grilled shrimp skewers are always a favorite at cookouts.
- Bacon wrapped onion rings are easy to make in the air fryer or oven.
Bacon-Wrapped Little Smokies
- 7 ounces Little Smokies about 20
- 5 to 6 slices bacon preferably thick-cut
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- finely chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
- Pre-heat Air Fryer at 370°F (188°C). Set at 15 minutes. Or, preheat oven to 400°F (oven cooking time is about 20 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine light brown sugar, BBQ seasoning, smoked sweet paprika, and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Pat dry bacon and little smokies - cocktail sausages.
- Divide each slice of bacon into 4 equally, measuring that each piece would completely wrap one cocktail sausage.
- Wrap little smokies in bacon then properly secure with toothpicks.
- Arrange bacon-wrapped little smokies onto the Air Fryer trays or oven baking sheet. Do not overcrowd. You can add 9 to 11 little smokies per air fryer tray. Preferably use two Air Fryer trays. *See notes and tips when using two trays.
- Sprinkle one side of each bacon-wrapped little smokies with the light brown mixture.
- Slowly insert the first Air Fryer tray into the middle cooking chamber, near the rotisserie catch. The second tray placed below the first. Or, place baking sheet in oven.
- Half-way through, flip each bacon-wrapped little smokies. Place the Air Fryer tray in your resting tray then turn food. Sprinkle with the remaining light brown sugar mixture. Return trays onto the cooking chamber.
- Remove bacon-wrapped little smokies once crisp and golden in color.
- Transfer to a serving plate or bowl. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- When turning food while using 2 Air Fryer trays, remove the first Air Fryer tray, then transfer the second tray into the middle cooking chamber, near the rotisserie catch.
- Upon returning the first tray with turned food, remove the second Air Fryer tray beforehand and return the first tray to the middle cooking chamber. This way, the contents of the first Air Fryer tray will finish cooking first.
- Flip each bacon-wrapped little smokies in the second tray, then return to the cooking chamber below the first Air Fryer tray.
- Bacon-wrapped little smokies in the first Air Fryer tray will finish cooking earlier than in the second tray. Remove the first Air Fryer tray after 8 to 10 minutes of cooking or when bacon reaches your desired crispness.
- Once the contents of the first Air Fryer tray have finished cooking, transfer the second tray into the middle cooking chamber.