Try these sweet and savory bacon-wrapped onion rings glazed with real maple syrup. They are the perfect combination of salty and sweet that you won't be able to resist.
These easy to make rings are a perfect combination of salty bacon and slightly sweet onion that will leave you craving more. The rich smoky bacon and maple flavors add an extra dimension to the traditional onion ring recipe.
You can cook this easy-to-make appetizer in an air fryer or oven. These savory bites are perfect for game nights or any other casual gatherings.
The ingredients required to make this dish are pretty simple and easy to find. You probably already have everything you need.
Here's the full list of items you'll need:
- Regular cut bacon
- Salt and pepper
- Maple syrup (for the optional sweet glaze)
Scroll down to the recipe card for the amounts used.
The first thing you'll want to do is preheat your air fryer or oven. Then peel the skin off the onion and follow the easy steps below.
Cut the onion into thick slices, about ½ inch thick. Combine the larger rings into sets of 2.
Season each set of onion rings with salt and black pepper.
Carefully tightly wrap each onion ring set with a slice of bacon to cover.
Lightly brush maple syrup on each of the bacon onion rings.
Transfer bacon-wrapped onion rings onto an air fryer tray or small baking tray, then cook.
Remove once bacon turns golden brown or until onion is tender and bacon is done to your liking.
The type of onion used in the recipe can affect the overall taste. For instance, sweet onions have a milder flavor than red onions, which have a slightly spicy and sharp taste. Thus, depending on one's preference, one can choose their preferred type of onion for the recipe.
Consider adding some extra seasonings to the onion rings before wrapping them in bacon. Paprika, garlic powder, or even rosemary can add another layer of taste that complements both the sweetness of onion and the saltiness of bacon well.
You can also make then low carb by leaving out the maple syrup or using a keto alternative.
Here are some cooking tips you need to know before making these.
- Choose a good onion with the right flavor. Sweet onions like Vidalia are recommended for this recipe because they have less pungent taste than regular onions.
- Be careful not to overcook them or the outside can burn. Keep an eye on them and remove them from the oven or air fryer when the bacon is just starting to brown up.
- Use a toothpick to hold the bacon on the two onion rings if needed. A toothpick will help secure the bacon ends, but be careful when using them in an Air Fryer. As long as you tightly wrap bacon around your onion rings, toothpicks will not be necessary.
- Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain excess fat, if any. An air fryer tray is perforated, so there shouldn't be a need to drain any oil.
These baked or air fryer bacon wrapped onion rings can be served with various dipping sauces as an appetizer or snack. Some popular options include spicy mayo, ranch dressing, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, and ketchup.
These savory treats can also be served as a side dish to accompany your main course. Pair them with grilled steak, a burger, or panko chicken for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Smoked bacon wrapped onion rings should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The container can be lined with paper towels to absorb any excess grease. They can then be stored for up to four days.
The best way to reheat them is in the air fryer or oven. Preheat to 375°F and cook until heated through, about 8 to 12 minutes.
You can prepare the rings a day ahead and store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
People who prefer a tangy taste might opt for ketchup or barbecue sauce, while those who love savory flavors may select ranch dressing or honey mustard as their preferred dipping sauce.
The sweet glaze is optional. You can omit it if you prefer your bacon to be crisp and savory.
If you want more tasty bites, just out these other appetizer recipes.
- Air fryer cabbage wrapped in bacon has a delicious flavor combo.
- Steak quesadilla recipe repurposes leftover meat.
- Zucchini bruschetta is a healthy low-carb option.
- Panko breaded shrimp is perfect for seafood lovers.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Bacon-Wrapped Onion Rings
- 6 to 8 slices bacon
- 1 large onion we used yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnishing (optional)
- Pre-heat Air Fryer at 370°F (188°C). Set at 10 minutes. Or preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Slice onions into rings, about ½ inch thick. Combine the larger rings in 2s. I got 8 of the largest rings and made 4 sets of onion rings.
- Season each set of onion rings with salt and black pepper.
- Carefully tightly wrap bacon on each set of onion rings.
- Lightly brush maple syrup on each bacon-wrapped onion rings.
- Gently transfer bacon-wrapped onion rings onto Air Fryer tray (or on a rack in a baking pan) and start cooking.
- After 5 minutes, slowly turn bacon-wrapped onion rings.
- Carefully watch onion rings at this time. Remove once bacon turns golden brown or until onion is tender and bacon is done to your liking.
- Garnish fresh parsley before serving, if using.
This bacon wrapper onion rings recipe is definitely a must-try! They were bursting with flavors that are incredibly satisfying! SO IMPRESSIVE!
These were EPIC! I made them to put on burgers and it was a total hit. Will definitely be making these again. I think it'd taste delicious on pulled pork sandwiches too.
I'll be honest with you - my husband found this recipe and wanted to make these but I thought they seemed like something I wouldn't like. He went ahead and made them and I couldn't stop eating them. I think I ended up eating more than he did. 🙂 Such a delicious, salty-sweet little snack!
LOVED this one! I ended up buying another thing of bacon to make them again the next day.
Made this for a housewarming potluck and it was such a hit! Never would've thought to wrap onion rings with bacon, but wow!