Indulge your sweet tooth with this delicious and easy-to-make peanut butter mug cake. Ready in minutes, it's a perfect dessert treat for any time of day!
A cake in a mug is the perfect indulgence for anyone who wants a quick and easy dessert fix. Mug cakes are made by mixing the batter ingredients in a microwave-safe mug and baking it in the microwave.
Adding a simple chocolate frosting turns this simple dessert into a decadent treat. The rich chocolatey flavor complements the sweet peanut butter taste perfectly.
This microwave peanut butter mug cake recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings without requiring much effort.
This recipe requires minimal effort and ingredients, making it an excellent option for busy individuals or those living alone.
Here's a list of what you'll need to make the peanut butter cake batter:
- Almond milk
- Peanut butter
- Baking powder
- Vanilla Extract
Scroll down to the recipe card for amounts used.
If desired, you can also add a chocolate frosting made with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of hot fudge sauce.
It's so easy to make this delicious peanut butter treat. You'll just need to whisk together the ingredients and then microwave each cake in a mug.
Add all of the ingredients for the cake batter to a mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth.
Evenly divide the batter into two well-greased small mugs. Cook time will vary by microwave.
Microwave mug cake batter on high until cake is cooked.
Let the cake cool slightly. Add fudge frosting for a chocolate peanut butter mug cake.
This microwave dessert is incredibly versatile and can be adapted in several ways.
- Use nut butter. If you have a peanut allergy or prefer a different flavor, cashew or almond butter are good alternatives to peanut butter.
- Mix in add-in to the batter. Add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, or shredded coconut to the batter for additional texture and flavor.
- Switch up the frosting. Swap the chocolate frosting with caramel or marshmallow cream for a quick change. You can even try our no-butter cream cheese frosting.
- Sprinkle something sweet or salty on top. A sprinkling of white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips, chopped peanuts, or sea salt will add a new dimension of flavor.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect peanut butter mug cake.
- Use good quality ingredients like creamy peanut butter and pure vanilla extract for enhanced flavor.
- Don't over-mix the batter. This can result in a dense and rubbery texture. Just mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Microwaving time can vary depending on your microwave's wattage. Start with 1 minute and increase by 15-second intervals until fully cooked. The cake should be moist but not gooey in the center.
Once your peanut butter mug cake is done, top it off with some delicious chocolate frosting. You can either make your own frosting or use store-bought chocolate frosting for convenience. Spread the frosting over the top of the mug cake and serve immediately.
This dessert is best served warm. If you don't want to use frosting, you can top it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Or, just enjoy it plain right from the microwave.
Cut each cake in half and frost as a two-layer cake for something a little more creative. You can even make one layer with a chocolate mug cake or a Nutella mug cake.
The best way to store the cake is by wrapping it in plastic wrap or storing it in an airtight container. This will keep the cake from drying out and prevent it from absorbing any odors from other food items. It’s also important to store the mug cake at room temperature and away from direct sunlight, as this can cause the cake to spoil faster.
If you plan on eating the mug cake within a few days, you can leave it covered on your countertop. However, if you don’t plan on eating the mug cake right away, you can store it in your refrigerator for up to three days.
If you want to serve the cake warm, simply remove the plastic wrap or container and microwave for 30 seconds before enjoying.
We used creamy natural peanut butter in this easy mug cake recipe. It doesn't contain any added sugar or chunky peanut pieces.
The mug cake batter can be baked in a preheated 350°F oven. Grease your mug with butter or cooking spray and add the batter. Place it on a baking sheet for stability and then place it in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
Almond flour is an excellent alternative to wheat flour. However, you may need to adjust other ingredients such as liquid since wheat flour absorbs more liquid than almond flour. You may also need to add another egg to help the bind the ingredients without gluten.
Want to try some other quick and easy microwave cake desserts? Check out some of these recipes too.
- Carrot cake mug cake is perfect for a quick snack.
- Cinnamon roll in a mug makes a delicious morning treat.
- Mug cake with cake mix is great for when you don't need a whole cake.
- Chocolate chip mug cake tastes just like a warm freshly baked cookie.
- Apple mug cake is a comforting treat make in minutes.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Peanut Butter Mug Cake
For the cake:
- 3 tablespoons Butter melted
- 3 tablespoons Almond milk
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 3 tablespoons Peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 4 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
For the optional frosting:
- 2 tablespoon Hot fudge sauce
- 1 tablespoon Peanut butter
- Add all of the ingredients for the cake to a mixing bowl, and blend until smooth.
- Evenly separate the batter into two well greased small mugs.
- Microwave for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, or until the cakes are cooked through.
- If using the frosting, place the hot fudge sauce and peanut butter into a microwave safe bowl, and heat for about 20 seconds. Stir to combine, and add the frosting to the top of the cakes before serving.
This peanut butter mug cake was the perfect little dessert! So quick and easy too!
I'm hooked on your mug cakes! I love that they make just enough to feed my sugar cravings and I'm not tempted by having tons of leftovers. This was delish - love peanut butter!
These little peanut butter mug cakes are dangerously easy and delicious! I've made them several times so far. They are the perfect thing for those afternoons when we are craving something sweet. Last time I made them I drizzled them with a spoonful of hot fudge. So good!
Best flavor ever! This mug cake was the perfect way to curb a RIGHT NOW craving!
I am a little late to the mug cake game and I am so upset now that I tried yours! I NEEDED a peanut butter treat last night and I whipped this up. Now I am in trouble because I want to make them all the time!