For a delicious and easy dessert to make quickly, the apple mug cake will not disappoint! These single-serve treats are perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth craving without making a whole cake.
With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this mug cake can be ready to enjoy in no time. The combination of sweet apples and classic cinnamon makes this dessert irresistible.
Don't let its simplicity fool you - this microwave cake packs a powerful punch of apple pie spice goodness! The moist texture of the apples pairs perfectly with spicy notes of cinnamon and nutmeg to create a flavor combination that everyone will love.
Plus it's egg-free so anyone with an allergy can enjoy this tasty treat! So grab your favorite mug and get ready to whip up this delicious apple mug cake recipe!
This simple cake is the perfect warm and cozy dessert for chilly nights. It requires minimal effort and simple ingredients.
Here's what you'll need for this amazing homemade treat.
- Apple: One fruit peeled and chopped is all you need.
- Butter: Melt it first so it blends into the batter.
- Vanilla extract: A small amount of vanilla will enhance the flavor.
- Milk: For added richness and moistness, milk is the liquid used.
- Brown sugar: Molasses adds a more complex flavor than white sugar.
- Flour: All-purpose flour provides the cake base.
- Baking powder: This will add leavening and result in a lighter texture.
- Spices: A blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves is the perfect way to spice up the apple taste.
See recipe card for quantities.
To start, measure out each ingredient. Then peel, core, and prepare the apple by cutting it into small pieces.
Dump all ingredients except the apples into a small mixing bowl and blend until smooth.
Add the apples and fold them into the cake batter.
Divide mixture evenly between two greased large mugs or ramekins.
Cook in the microwave for 90 seconds to 2 minutes or until cooked throughout.
Use care in removing the cup from the microwave as it will be very hot. Oven mitts are recommended.
Using different types of apples such as Granny Smith or Honey Crisp brings out different flavors that add complexity and depth to the recipe. You can also experiment with adding another warm fall spice like ginger.
Try adding nuts or dry fruit. Chopped nuts such as almonds or walnuts will give the mug cake a crunchy texture. Raisins or dried cranberries can provide sweetness without overpowering the apple taste.
To make the cake even sweeter, try adding chocolate chips or sprinkling on sugar before microwaving it.
Here are some tips on how to make the perfect apple mug cake every time.
- Use a good baking apple. The best apples for cakes are Granny smith, Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Gala.
- Be generous with spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg bring out the sweetness of the apples even more.
- Add a topping. Nuts or granola will give your cake an extra crunchy twist.
To make it even more special, we suggest topping your mug cake with caramel sauce, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or crunchy cereal. It's also super delicious served on it's own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Caramel sauce will give your apple mug cake a sweet and salty taste that is simply irresistible. Whipped cream adds an interesting layer of texture to the mix and brings out the fruity flavor of the apples.
Another great way to top your Apple Mug Cake is by sprinkling some chocolate chips on top – they are sure to please any sweet tooth!
To store an apple mug cake, be sure to cool it completely before placing it in an airtight container or wrapping it in plastic wrap. It should last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
For longer storage, you can also freeze the mug cake for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.
No, you don't have to use a microwave for mug cakes. You can bake them in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. You can also cook them in a stovetop pan with a lid over medium-low heat for about 8 minutes.
Mug cakes rise without eggs due to the leavening agents in the cake batter, such as baking powder and baking soda. These agents create air pockets within the cake mixture, causing it to rise when heated. Additionally, steam is created during the heating process which helps lift the cake as well.
Granny Smith apples are ideal for this mug cake recipe because they're tart and hold their shape when cooked. They also have a firm texture that resists breaking down too much in the microwave. If you don't have Granny Smith apples, other tart varieties like Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, or Pink Lady would work as well.
If you love mug cakes as much as we do, be sure to check out these recipes too!
- Chocolate chip mug cake will satisfy any cookie craving.
- Cake mix mug cake works with almost any box mix.
- Hot cocoa mug cake is perfect for a cozy movie night.
- Pancake mug cake is a convenient breakfast option.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Apple Mug Cake
- ½ cup Apple diced finely
- ¼ cup Butter melted (or applesauce to reduce calories)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Pinch cloves
- Whipped cream optional
- Milk or water (as needed)
- Add the butter, vanilla, milk, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to a mixing bowl, and blend until smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick, add water or milk as needed until the mixture resembles a thick pancake batter.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour the mixture evenly into two well greased large mugs or ramekins.
- Microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve garnished with whipped cream if desired.
When you need just a couple of desserts, this is the perfect recipe. The presentation is so cute too.
One of the best desserts I've made! This apple mug cake is so easy and very convenient. Everyone in the family loves it! Highly recommended!
This recipe is perfect for when I'm craving cozy flavors, but don't want to make a whole dessert. I love how easy and quickly this comes together.
I love mug cakes and this is a perfect addition to my recipe collection. Just delicious.
This tasted so amazing! Would definitely make this again!!