A quick and easy chocolate chip mug cake is the perfect single-serving dessert. It satisfies your sweet tooth without being too over the top. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to make!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
Mug cakes are the best invention since sliced bread. Seriously, these treats, like our apple mug cakes, are life-changing.
In less than five minutes, you can have a warm, gooey, cake that satisfies your sweet tooth like no other. And clean up is a breeze!
One of our favorites is this easy chocolate chip mug cake. It gives you the taste of fresh baked cookies without the hassle.
This tasty microwave mug cake tastes just like a soft chocolate chip cookie because it's made with the same ingredients.
All you need for the recipe is a coffee mug, a microwave, and the following simple ingredients.
- All-purpose flour: Cakes and other baked goods use flour to provide structure.
- Brown sugar: Using brown sugar gives a richer flavor to the cake.
- Baking powder: You can leave the baking powder out if you use self rising flour. Otherwise, it's needed to rise the cake when cooking.
- Salt: A small amount of salt will enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Milk: Whole fat milk is preferred but you can use a smaller amount of low-fat milk or almond milk.
- Butter: For the traditional flavor of chocolate chip cookies, you'll want to use salted butter. But unsalted butter can be used if desired.
- Vanilla extract: Adding in vanilla extract will enhance the flavor so don't leave it out.
- Chocolate chip:
See recipe card for quantities.
The mug cake comes together in minutes. And, it's so delicious that you'll be wanting seconds!
Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in your mug, or small dish.
Add milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the mug.
Stir everything together into a thick cake batter.
Add milk chocolate chips. Mini chips work best.
Fold in the chips.
Microwave on high until done, about 60 to 90 seconds.
There are a few ways you can change up a chocolate chip mug cake recipe. You could use different types of chocolate chips, like white chocolate, ruby chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate. Or, you could add in some other mix-ins like nuts, dried fruit, or marshmallows.
Here are some tips to help you make the best mug cake ever!
- Use a coffee mug or other microwave-safe cup that is large enough to hold the batter and allow the cake to rise during cooking.
- Make sure that your mug cake batter is well-mixed before you put it in the microwave.
- Cook your cake on high power for one minute, then check it and cook for an additional 30 seconds to one minute if needed. Be careful not to overcook your cake or it will be dry.
- Allow the mug cake to cool slightly before eating so you don't burn yourself.
You can enjoy your chocolate chip mug cake as-is because it's really delicious on it's own. We think it tastes just like warm chocolate chip cookies.
If you want to make it more decadent, you can top it with a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of melted chocolate.
Place the mug cake in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you're ready to eat it, microwave the mug cake for 30-60 seconds.
No, a microwave is not required to make a mug cake. A mug cake can be baked in the oven.
Yes, the chocolate chip mug cake should be gooey. It should have a texture similar to a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie.
There are a few things that can make a mug cake rise. One is to use self-rising flour, which already has baking powder and salt in it. Another is to add a little bit of baking powder to the batter.
If you like this mug cake recipe, you'll love these other desserts for one.
- A healthy single serving cookie sounds too good to be true, but with this recipe it is possible!
- Peach cobbler for one comes together quickly with frozen peach slices.
- Hot chocolate mix mug cake is another delicious cake for one.
- Cake in a mug with cake mix can be made with just two ingredients and water.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips mini chips are best
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in your mug, or small dish.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Continue heating in 15 second increments if needed until the cake is puffy, set, and springs back to the touch.
- Allow your cooked microwave mug cake to sit in the microwave for 1 minute before serving.