This Nutella mug cake recipe is an easy homemade dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth quickly. In about 5 minutes, you'll have a moist and chocolatey cake that's sure to hit the spot.
A microwave cake recipe is a perfect treat when you want something sweet but don't have much time. It's also great to make with kids, as it comes together quickly and has simple directions.
Like our hot chocolate mug cake, this minute cake is full of chocolate flavor. So the next time a chocolate craving hits, give this mug cake a try. You won't be disappointed!
The recipe makes two delicious mug cakes with just six basic ingredients in minutes. Enjoy one for yourself and share the other with a friend or save it for later.
Here's what you'll need to make this Nutella mug cake recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- An egg
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Nutella spread
Scroll down to the recipe card to see the amounts used.
There are only a couple of steps to making this gooey chocolate cake in a mug. First, you'll make the batter, and then, you'll microwave it in coffee cups. That's it!
To start, combine all your ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then divide the cake batter between two small mugs.
Cook mug cakes in the microwave for about one minute until the cake batter is cooked through completely.
Top each decadent Nutella mug cake with whipped cream for an extra special treat. Or, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top while the chocolate mug cake is still warm.
Want to add a little extra something to your mug cake? Try one of these easy variations.
- Add some extra ingredients to the cake batter for added flavor and texture. Some options might include chocolate chips, nuts, coconut flakes, or dried fruit.
- Use a different type of chocolate spread or thick chocolate sauce in place of the Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread. This will give the mug cake a different flavor and can be a great way to switch things up.
- Experiment with different types of flour. All-purpose flour is the most common choice. However, you can try using whole wheat flour, almond flour, or even oats for a different texture and flavor.
- Try adding a spoonful of instant coffee or espresso powder to the batter for a mocha-flavored mug cake.
- Incorporate some spices or extracts into the mug cake for added depth of flavor. Options might include cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, or vanilla extract.
- Top the mug cake with a variety of different toppings before microwaving. Some ideas might include a sprinkle of chopped nuts, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, a spoonful of marshmallow fluff, or a dollop of peanut butter.
- Make sure to mix the ingredients well to ensure an even and moist consistency.
- Use the right size mug to allow the mug cake to rise properly while microwaving.
- Don't over-microwave the mug cake, as it can become dry and overcooked. Aim for 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave.
- Allow the mug cake to cool for a few minutes before enjoying, as it will be very hot when it first comes out of the microwave.
Once it's cool enough to eat, top it off with some extra Nutella or your favorite topping for an extra special delight. Here are some serving suggestions to help you enjoy your Nutella mug cake even more!
You can top your mug cake with fresh berries or bananas. Fruit will add an extra layer of sweetness that complements the chocolatey flavor of the cake perfectly.
You can also sprinkle on some chopped nuts to give the cake a nice crunch and nutty flavor. Or, top it with vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips, or whipped cream while it's still warm.
If you have leftover Nutella mug cake, it's best to store it in the refrigerator. To do so, simply place plastic wrap over the top of the coffee cup. The cake will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
When you're ready to enjoy the cake again, you can microwave it for a few seconds to warm it up or serve it cold.
You can also freeze the cake if you want to store it for a longer period of time. To do so, remove the cake from the mug and place in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw the mug cake slices in the refrigerator or at room temperature, then microwave for a few seconds to warm up.
You can try increasing the amount of liquid in the recipe. This can be done by adding a little water. You can also try adding a little more baking powder.
To make a moist mug cake, add a little extra liquid, such as milk or water, to the batter. You can also add some yogurt or applesauce for more moisture. Reducing the baking time slightly will also prevent the cake from becoming too dry.
Want a few more quick and easy desserts for one or two people? Be sure to check out one of these other treats too.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Nutella Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Nutella spread
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and blend until smooth.
- Grease the inside of two small mugs well.
- Fill the mugs evenly with the batter.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds until cooked through completely.
Simple recipes like this are always appreciated, especially those made in less than 10 minutes.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. My mom loves cake, but since she is by herself she isn't going to bake a big cake and this mug cake is just perfect for her. And a big plus is she loves nutella.
My kids love Nutella more than anything, so I had to try your recipe, Lisa. It was really very quick and easy to make. I then added a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top - it was fantastic - tasted so good and looked so beautiful!
My daughter and I made this as a fun treat for movie night. We added chocolate chips and whipped cream to the top as suggested and it was delicious!
So simple, fast and good. My 12-year-old loves to make this when she has a chocolate dessert craving!