If you want to top off a small cake or cupcake but don't want to make a big batch, this recipe is for you! You only need two ingredients for this cream cheese frosting without butter and it comes together quickly.
When it comes to frosting, there are so many different flavors and textures to choose from. If you're looking for something classic and delicious to top off our hot chocolate mug cake, you can't go wrong with a cream cheese based recipe.
This type of frosting is smooth, creamy, and perfect for any cake. Plus, it comes together in minutes with just two simple ingredients.
Because it only makes one or two servings, the easy-to-make frosting is perfect for all your small batch baking. Best of all, it's made without butter so it's lighter and less sweet than traditional frosting.
No make this no butter cream cheese frosting, you only need a small amount of cream cheese and powdered sugar. Scroll down to the recipe card to see the amounts used.
- Cream cheese: For the best tasting frosting, use full fat cream cheese.
- Powdered sugar: Any type of powder sweetener can be used. Use a powdered sugar substitute to reduce calories and carbs.
To make a simple cream cheese frosting without butter, simply combine the powdered sugar and cream cheese. If you want a thicker consistency, you can add a little more powdered sugar. For a thinner frosting, add a bit more cream cheese.
Place the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl.
Beat with an electric mixer until the cream cheese frosting is smooth and creamy.
Once you've reached the desired consistency, simply spread or pipe it onto your favorite baked goods.
There are many variations for this no butter cream cheese frosting cream cheese frosting, all of which are delicious and easy to make.
- Vanilla: Add a small amount of vanilla extract.
- Chocolate: Mix in a little unsweetened cocoa powder for an easy chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Raspberry: Simply toss in a few fresh raspberries.
- Lemon: Mix in some lemon juice or extract to taste.
- Whipped: Add a tablespoon or two of whipped cream for a lighter and fluffier texture.
Here's a few tips to get or the best results.
- Use softened cream cheese. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature so it will mix evenly with the powdered sugar.
- Gradually add the sweetener. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time to get the right texture and sweetness. Use more or less as needed.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the frosting until it is light and fluffy.
Our cream cheese icing is perfect for topping mini cupcakes, mug cakes, small batch cinnamon rolls, or even cookies. You can also use it as a dip for fruit!
Cream cheese frosting tastes great on a carrot mug cake, spice cake, and red velvet mug cake. But you can use it on other flavors too. Just scale the recipe up to make the exact amount needed. You can even use it for decorating a mermaid sheet cake made in a small casserole pan.
To store your frosting, simply place it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. When you're ready to use it, just give it a good stir to smooth out any lumps.
You can thicken frosting without butter by using powdered sugar or by adding a little heated flour.
Cream cheese icing is thinner than frosting and is often used as a glaze or for decorating cookies.
If you want your frosting to be more firm, you can try adding more powdered sugar to it. You can also try chilling it in the fridge for a bit before using it.
Want a few more quick and easy desserts for one? Check out one of these single serve treats.
- Single serving cookie dough is perfect to satisfy a sugar craving.
- Small batch eggless peanut butter cookies can be made in under 20 minutes.
- Our healthy single serve cookie is gluten-free and vegan-friendly!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Beat powdered sugar into softened cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.