Wake up to a deliciously spiced breakfast chorizo burrito! Get the perfect start to your day with our easy-to-make recipe.
Try a delicious burrito if you're looking for a quick and satisfying breakfast option. This hearty breakfast dish is packed with protein and flavor, making it the perfect choice for those who need a little extra kick to start their day.
This breakfast burrito recipe with Mexican chorizo is a delicious way to start your day. The spicy, smoky flavor of the chorizo pairs perfectly with scrambled eggs and cheese.
You'll need a few key ingredients to make your burrito. If you can't find chorizo at your regular grocery store, you may be able to get it from a local butcher shop.
Here are the ingredients needed to make the recipe:
- chorizo sausage
- olive oil
- red onion
- red chile pepper
- dried oregano
- flour tortilla
- shredded cheddar cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
Once you've gathered and prepped all the ingredients for your chorizo breakfast burrito, it's time to get cooking. Start by heating the oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add the chorizo to the pan and sauté over medium to high heat until it turns brown and crumbles.
Add onion, oregano, paprika, chili pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens.
Whisk eggs in medium bowl, and then pour them into the chorizo mixture.
Add salt and cook the eggs until they are scrambled and no longer liquid.
Heat flour tortilla to soften. Scoop the chorizo-egg mixture into the center of the tortilla and cover it with the shredded cheese.
Roll the warm tortilla up into a burrito and slice it in half. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa. Sour cream can also be added.
Here are a few ways to change up the recipe.
- Add potatoes to the filling. Dice and cook them in a pan until crispy, then add the potatoes to the burrito filling.
- Switch out the scrambled eggs for sunny-side-up fried eggs instead. This will give your burrito a runny yolk that makes every bite ooze with goodness.
- Add jalapeños or hot sauce to make your breakfast chorizo burrito extra spicy.
- Try adding vegetables like roasted bell peppers or tomatoes for some sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Change up the cheese. Monterey Jack cheese is a great option to replace cheddar.
- Use regular breakfast sausage instead of spicy pork chorizo. You can even cook the sausage in the oven ahead of time.
- Remove the chorizo from the casing before dicing.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla towards the center, then roll it up tightly from one end to create your burrito shape.
- If you want an extra-crispy finish on your burrito, you can lightly butter or oil each side of it and cook it briefly on a griddle or pan until it's golden brown. place it on a hot griddle or skillet to warm through until golden brown on both sides.
Serve hot alongside some additional salsa for dipping or drizzling over the top if desired! This chorizo and egg breakfast burrito is hearty enough to keep you full until lunchtime. It also makes for an easy meal prep option when planning for busy mornings during the week.
The key to enjoying this burrito is to dig in! Don't be afraid to take big bites and savor every flavor-packed mouthful. The chorizo sausage adds a spicy kick that pairs perfectly with the creamy scrambled eggs and melted cheese. You can even add some air fryer home fries on the side.
It is best to serve this easy breakfast dish hot and fresh from the stovetop. Enjoy it with your favorite hot sauce or salsa for added flavor. Whether you're on the go or have time for a sit-down breakfast, this burrito will hit the spot.
The best way to store it is to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, ensuring all sides are sealed. This will help keep the burrito warm and prevent any ingredients from spilling.
If you won't eat the burrito right away, you should also place it in an airtight container or bag before refrigerating it. When you're ready to enjoy your burrito, reheat it in the oven or microwave for a few minutes until it's hot.
Another option is to freeze your breakfast chorizo burrito for later consumption. To do this, wrap the burrito tightly in aluminum foil and then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container before putting it into the freezer.
Absolutely! The key is to fry the eggs until they are cooked through but not too browned so they will be easy to roll up in the burrito.
When fully cooked, the sausage will be a deep red-orange color and feel firm when pressed on it. If it's still soft or pink in the middle, then it needs more time in the pan.
Home fries are a great addition to a breakfast burrito filling. They provide an extra layer of flavor and texture that can really take your breakfast burrito to the next level.
Want some more quick breakfast ideas for one? Here are a few more of our favorites.
- Single-serve waffle is delicious with butter and syrup.
- Air fryer french toast comes out crisp on the outside and soft inside.
- Baked oatmeal for one is just what you need on a cool morning.
- Pancake in a mug takes only a couple of minutes from start to finish.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Breakfast Chorizo Burrito
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 oz chorizo sausage casings removed and crumbled
- ⅛ cup chopped red onion
- 1 red chile pepper seeded and diced
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 large eggs
- Salt to taste
- 1 flour tortilla
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Avocado sliced
- Drizzle olive oil on a skillet. Sauté the chorizo over medium to high heat until it turns brown and crumbles.
- Add onion, oregano, paprika, chili pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl, and then pour them into the chorizo mixture. Add salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to stir and cook until the eggs are scrambled and no longer liquid.
- Heat flour tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds. Scoop chorizo-egg mixture into the center of the tortilla and cover it with shredded Cheddar cheese. Roll it up like a burrito.
- Serve with salsa and avocado.
This was the perfect recipe to have for our weekly "Breakfast for Dinner" since it's so hearty. My family loved all the flavor (though I did leave the red pepper out because we think chorizo is plenty spicy).
I meal prepped these for my breakfast and so glad I did. They are delicious and really start the day off right. Will definitely be on rotation in my house.
This burrito was so hearty and flavorful! Such a great protein packed breakfast option.
This really ups my burrito game, what a great recipe. Thanks so much for posting.
My husband went crazy for these breakfast burritos! He lives for a breakfast taco so these were a fun surprise! Thank you for the recipe!