Dive into savory sweetness when you serve this heavenly sweet potato casserole with canned yams. You won't be able to resist the taste!
This classic dish is perfect for holidays but can be enjoyed at any meal. The comforting and flavorful casserole is made with just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time.
Using canned yams provides a time-saving advantage without compromising on taste. The yams are already peeled and cooked, which means no more hours spent boiling or baking sweet potatoes from scratch.
While some may argue that using fresh sweet potatoes is always best, there's nothing wrong with embracing convenience when cooking. Canned yams can be just as delicious as their fresh counterparts if you choose high-quality brands.
Reasons to Love
- Quick and easy preparation. Using canned yams instead of fresh sweet potatoes makes the preparation process much faster.
- Creamy and crunchy textures. When you take a bite, you'll experience the smooth and velvety consistency of the mashed sweet potatoes, complemented by the delightful crunch of the crispy pecan topping.
- A delightful blend of flavors. The natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
The great thing about this canned sweet potato casserole recipe is that you only need a few ingredients. You probably already have all the items right in your kitchen.
Here's what you'll need to make the recipe:
- canned yams
- vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- chopped pecans
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Ready to make this recipe? To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, drain the liquid from the can and rinse the yams before transferring to a mixing bowl. Beat them with an electric mixer (or press with a potato masher) until smooth and creamy.
Add the melted butter and vanilla extract to the mashed yams.
Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Mix until the ingredients are well blended into the yams. Add in the egg, and beat until creamy.
Spread the sweet potato mixture into a well-greased small oven-safe skillet or baking dish.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove, and top with the mini marshmallows and chopped pecans.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the marshmallows have browned on top.
Hint: It's important to drain the yams thoroughly. This will help remove excess liquid from the can, preventing your casserole from becoming too watery. Simply open the can of yams and pour out the syrup or liquid they are packed in.
Another winning aspect of this recipe is its versatility. You can easily customize it to suit your preferences. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Decadent - incorporate other ingredients like crushed pineapples or orange zest for a citrusy zing.
- Flavor - experiment with different spices such as cardamom or allspice to add depth and complexity to your flavor profile.
- Sweet - Feel free to add brown sugar to the yam mixture if you like your casserole sweeter.
Check out how to make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer if you love yam.
Top tip: To achieve a smooth and creamy texture, use an electric mixer or food processor to make the yam mixture.
- Bake with Care: Bake the casserole until it's heated through and the topping is golden brown. Be cautious not to overbake, as it can dry out the sweet potatoes.
- Make-ahead: Sweet potato casserole can be made ahead of time. Prepare the casserole, cover it, and refrigerate. You can then bake it when you're ready to serve it.
- Broil: Place the casserole under the broiler instead of baking if you want to brown the topping quickly.
This sweet side dish is often served during holiday meals and special occasions. When it comes to serving, it pairs wonderfully with various main dishes like roast turkey and baked ham.
Wondering how long leftover sweet potato casserole will last in the fridge? You can refrigerate it for up to four days.
Just make sure to store it in an airtight container or cover it tightly with aluminum foil before placing it in the refrigerator. This will help maintain its freshness and prevent any unwanted odors from seeping into the dish.
To reheat, cover with foil and place in a preheated 350°F oven until heated. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the amount.
Looking for more easy side dishes that won't make more than you need? Check out some of these recipes:
- Green beans with garlic butter are perfectly seasoned and full of flavor.
- Crock-pot mac and cheese is the ultimate cheesy delight.
- Cabbage steaks in oven are warm and comforting.
- Scalloped potatoes for two is sure to be a hit.
- Southern fried cabbage recipe is an easy dish made in a skillet.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Canned Yams
- 15 ounces canned yams rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the yams, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a mixing bowl, and blend until well combined.
- Add in the egg, and beat until creamy.
- Spread the mixture into a well-greased small oven-safe skillet or baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove, and top with the mini marshmallows and pecans.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the marshmallows have browned on top.