Treat your tastebuds to a decadent marshmallow fruit salad made with Cool Whip. With just five simple ingredients, you can enjoy this delicious and easy-to-make dessert any time!
This delicious fruit salad is easy to prepare and requires only a few ingredients. It's an unforgettable mix of flavors that everyone will love.
The combination of marshmallows and Cool Whip with juicy bits of fruit makes it wonderfully scrumptious. Plus, it takes only minutes to put together, so you can have a delightful dessert ready in no time!
This salad requires just a few ingredients. It combines sweet marshmallows, juicy fruit, and frozen whipped topping.
Here the items used to make this simple Cool Whip fruit salad:
- Canned fruit cocktail
- Canned pineapple chunks or pineapple tidbits
- Jarred maraschino cherries
- Mini marshmallows
- Cool Whip frozen non-dairy topping
Scroll down to the recipe card for the amounts of each used.
The first thing you'll need to do is take your Cool Whip out to thaw in the refrigerator. This should be done at least six hours before preparing the creamy fruit salad recipe.
Add drained fruit cocktail, pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, and mini marshmallows into a large mixing bowl.
Stir the fruit and marshmallows together.
Add the Cool Whip.
Fold the thawed whipped topping into the fruit mixture evenly.
You can eat the salad immediately, but it is best to wait until it has been chilled first.
There are so many ways you can change up this easy fruit salad. You'll find a few variations of the recipe below.
- Make it juicier. Replace the fruit cocktail with mandarin oranges if you like a juicy salad.
- Add coconut. Mix in shredded coconut for a more traditional ambrosia salad.
- Change the marshmallows. Try using different types of mini marshmallows. They come in different colors and flavors.
- Experiment with different fruits. Fresh fruit like diced bananas or strawberries work well in the salad but you may want to add a touch of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix-ins. You can add sweet or savory bits to the mixture. Jellied fruit or chocolate chips add sweetness. Chopped nuts or almond slices can add a savory texture.
Here are some tips on getting perfect results when making this delicious and easy recipe.
- Choose your fruit wisely: Use a mix of colorful and flavorful fruits. Pick ones that stay firm and won't get mushy.
- Drain the canned fruits well. You can get liquid buildup at the bottom of the salad if you don't drain the fruit completely.
- Chill before serving. Once you have mixed the fruits and Cool Whip, chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors blend and the salad set.
For the best taste, serve this fruity marshmallow salad cold. You can spoon it into individual bowls and garnish it with a few extra pieces of fruit. Or, serve it from a large trifle dish for small family gatherings or special occasions.
To add an extra touch to the presentation, top the bowl with a generous dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle over some fresh mint leaves or chopped maraschino cherries for an elegant finish! Everyone will love the light and creamy texture no matter how you choose to serve your delicious fruit cocktail salad.
It is best to store your marshmallow fruit salad with Cool Whip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If air leaks into the container, the salad may become soggy and lose The salad may become soggy and lose flavor if air leaks into the container.
For optimal taste and texture, consume the fruit salad within a few days.
Pomegranates should not be included in fruit salads because they are challenging to cut into small enough pieces, and their juice can stain other fruits. Apples should also be avoided because they tend to turn brown quickly after being cut and exposed to air.
Make sure you use firm fruits and drain canned fruits well. Preparing the fruit salad only a short time in advance is also important.
One way to keep fruit salad from turning brown is to coat the fruit in an acidic solution. Lemon juice, lime juice, and orange juice are all great options for this purpose. The acidity of the juices will help prevent oxidation and therefore keep the fruit from browning.
Another option is to use ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C powder. Ascorbic acid helps slow down the oxidation process that causes fruits to turn brown.
Looking for more quick and easy desserts to serve at small gatherings? Here's some of our favorites.
- Oreo mousse cake is an impressive treat everyone will love.
- Peanut butter cookies are a classic snack to share.
- Cookies and cream mousse is ready in only a few minutes.
Marshmallow Fruit Salad
- 20 ounces canned fruit cocktail drained
- 15 ounces canned pineapple chunks drained
- 8 ounces maraschino cherries drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- Add drained fruit cocktail, pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, and mini marshmallows in a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
- Add the thawed Cool Whip and fold it into the fruit mixture.