The smell of freshly cooked Italian minestrone soup is enough to make anyone's mouth water. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make this hearty and delicious soup in no time at all.
Nothing warms up a winter night like a hearty bowl of soup. If you’re looking for something delicious and easy to make, try out this take on a classic recipe!
Loaded with flavor, it's a perfect dish for busy weeknights or when you want something comforting and warm. Not only is it full of flavor but it's also packed with healthy ingredients like tomato, zucchini, celery, and more!
The secret to this classic Italian favorite lies in its simplicity. Everyday ingredients combine together perfectly. The vegetables and pasta provide a nice presentation as well as bulk up the dish for additional servings.
Ready to make a delicious and nutritious Italian Minestrone Soup? All you need is some basic ingredients, and you'll be well on your way to creating a satisfying meal.
Here's what you'll need to get started:
- Cooking oil - Olive oil is preferred.
- Meat - We love sausage but ground beef and shredded chick work too. Omit for a vegetarian minestrone soup.
- Vegetables - Diced tomatoes, tomato paste, celery, and zucchini are used. But you can add carrots, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, and green beans to the mix.
- Aromatics - Onion and garlic are essential for the best flavor.
- Broth - The recipe calls for chicken broth but beef or vegetarian will work too.
- Pasta - Any small pasta is perfect for soup.
- Seasonings - Bay leaf and Italian seasonings are all you need. Fresh herbs are best but not necessary.
Scroll down to the recipe card to see the amount of each ingredient used.
This Italian soup recipe can be made in one pot and ready to serve in about 30 minutes. All you need to do is follow these easy step-by-step directions.
Brown meat in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add celery, onion, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Pour in broth.
Stir in tomato, seasonings, and tomato paste. Then simmer.
Add the zucchini and pasta and cook another 7 to 10 minutes.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Beans - The addition of canned or dried beans adds an extra punch of protein without being overpowering.
- Meat - If you don't like sausage, use ground beef for a beef minestrone soup or shredded chicken for a chicken version.
- Vegetables - Diced carrots, cut green beans, and spinach are great additions.
- Pasta - Change up the pasta! Macaroni, Farfalline, and Ditalini are other good choices that work well in soup.
- Parmesan - Add some extra flavor by including a Parmesan cheese rind while simmering the soup. This will give your minestrone an even more robust flavor profile! Or, add freshly ground Parmesan when serving.
Whether you choose to follow the traditional recipe or add your own personal touches, this easy Italian minestrone soup will certainly hit the spot!
- Cook the pasta al dente. The pasta should still be a little firm at the end of cooking.
- Do not overcook the zucchini or it can become mushy.
This versatile soup tastes great just as it comes out of the pot. But adding some tasty accompaniments can really bring out its flavors.
Toasted crusty bread or croutons are a great way to add texture. For an extra touch of richness, top each bowl with a dollop of freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a drizzle of olive oil.
Leftover minestrone soup should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to five days.
To reheat, place the soup in a saucepan and warm over low heat until heated through. Alternatively, you can heat individual portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
What is Italian minestrone?
Italian minestrone is a delicious vegetable soup that is packed with flavor! It typically includes onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes, and beans. It can also include potatoes, zucchini, spinach, and other vegetables.
The soup typically contains a mix of vegetables in a tomato base. It can also have beans like kidney or cannellini beans. Other ingredients may include pasta, garlic, olive oil, herbs like oregano or basil, and a small amount of Parmesan cheese. Some recipes also call for a small amount of meat such as bacon or sausage.
Minestrone soup is traditionally a vegetarian dish. However, some versions of the soup may include meat such as bacon or pancetta to add flavor.
Here are a few more lunch ideas for one or two people.
- Santa Fe Salad is bursting with fresh vegetables, proteins, and spices.
- Shrimp and Corn Bisque will wow your taste buds with every bite.
- Chili for Two is perfect for cold winter nights.
Minestrone Soup with Sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound bulk sausage or ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 small zucchini diced
- ¼ cup dry pasta shells or elbows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook about 5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the broth, ½ cup of water, tomato, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the zucchini and pasta, cook uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.