Upgrade your grilling game with these easy-to-make kabobs in your air fryer. The chicken comes out juicy and flavorful every time.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
It's easy to make the perfect chicken kabobs indoors. With simple ingredients and minimal effort, you'll have flavorful meat every time.
Reasons to Love
- Delicious taste. The BBQ sauce caramelizes on the chicken, creating an irresistible sweet, tangy glaze. The high heat of the air fryer ensures that the chicken is juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Quick preparation. Simply marinate the chicken pieces, thread them onto skewers, and pop them into the air fryer. It's ideal for busy weeknights when you want a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
The perfect chicken skewers start with boneless and skinless meat. The meat is then marinated in a seasoning blend and finished off with a barbecue sauce.
Here's what you'll need to make the simple recipe:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- garlic powder
- BBQ seasoning
- BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Once you've gathered all the ingredients, it's time to start assembling the skewers. Just follow these simple directions for preparing and cooking the meat.
Cut boneless chicken thighs into bite-sized chunks.
Thread boneless chicken thighs onto the skewers. About 4 chicken pieces per skewer.
Season skewered chicken thighs with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and BBQ seasoning. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
Gently transfer chicken skewers onto Air Fryer tray. Lightly spray with olive oil. Place in preheated air fryer.
After 7 minutes, remove the Air Fryer tray, then smother skewered chicken thighs with BBQ sauce. Turn skewers and continue to brush chicken with BBQ sauce. Return the tray into the Air Fryer.
Add BBQ sauce again after 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. Flipping skewers each time. Remove after 20 minutes and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Hint: Make sure you marinate the chicken pieces for at least 30 minutes before threading them onto the skewers. It enhances the taste and helps achieve a juicy and tender texture.
There are many different ways to change up this basic chicken skewers recipe. Here are a few ideas you can consider:
- Vegetables - try alternating chunks of bell peppers and onions.
- Marinade - experiment with different sauces or spice blends.
- Yogurt - a yogurt-based marinade is a healthier option to BBQ sauce.
Top tip: Cooking times can vary based on the size of your chicken pieces and the specific air fryer model. Keep a close eye on the skewers to prevent overcooking.
- Ensure the chicken pieces are cut into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking. This helps prevent some pieces from being undercooked while others are overcooked.
- Always arrange the skewers in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving space between them. Overcrowding can result in uneven cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The safe internal temperature for chicken is 165°F (74°C). Ensure that all pieces reach this temperature to avoid undercooked chicken.
When it comes to serving BBQ chicken kabobs in the air fryer, the right side dishes can elevate the entire meal experience. A refreshing and tangy Greek chopped salad can provide a cool contrast to the smoky flavors of the chicken. Slow cooker rice or a slice of small batch cornbread are other tasty bites you can add on the side.
After allowing them to cool completely, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, pop them back into the air fryer for a few minutes until heated through.
If you want to store the BBQ chicken kabobs for a longer period, you can freeze them. Place the leftover kabobs in a freezer-safe container or bag, making sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. Properly stored, frozen BBQ chicken kabobs can last for up 3 months without losing flavor or quality. Just remember to thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
Yes, marinating the chicken overnight can enhance its flavor and tenderness. It allows the meat to absorb all those delicious marinade flavors thoroughly.
Cooking time for chicken kabobs in an air fryer typically ranges from 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces and the specific model of your air fryer. I set the timer for 20 minutes as it allows time for brushing the sauce on outside the air fryer.
Love meaty finger foods? Here are some appetizer recipes you can check out:
- Air fryer lil smokies
- Lemon pepper wings
- Air fryer lumpia
- Lechon kawali is a delicious Filipino recipe for pork belly.
- Bacon wrapped salmon
Chicken Skewer Kabobs in Air Fryer
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons BBQ seasoning
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil spray
- chopped fresh parsley optional
- Cut boneless chicken thighs into bite-sized chunks.
- Thread boneless chicken thighs onto the skewers. Get one piece of chicken then insert in the skewer. Do this until each skewer is filled with chicken. About 4 chicken pieces per skewer.
- Season skewered chicken thighs with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and BBQ seasoning.
- Marinate chicken skewers in the dry rub for at least 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
- Gently transfer chicken skewers onto Air Fryer tray. Lightly spray with olive oil.
- Slowly insert tray into the middle cooking chamber of the 370°F (188°C) pre-heated Air Fryer, near the rotisserie catch. Set at 20 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, remove the Air Fryer tray, then smother skewered chicken thighs with BBQ sauce. Turn skewers and continue to brush chicken with BBQ sauce. Return the tray into the Air Fryer. Do this again after 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. Flipping skewers each time.
- No need to wait for the “turn food” reminder provided by the Air Fryer.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.