Enjoy a mouthwatering twist on traditional sloppy joes with our irresistible casserole topped with crispy tater tots. It's a comfort food lover's dream.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
This casserole is a delicious and comforting dish that takes the classic sloppy joe sandwich to a whole new level. It combines all the flavors of the beloved sandwich but with an added twist.
Whether you need a quick dinner idea or want to impress friends at an intimate get-together, this recipe is for you. The combination of meat and potatoes makes it the perfect comfort food, just like a shepherd's pie.
Why settle for ordinary when you can upgrade your meal with the irresistible goodness of sloppy joe casserole? Get ready to dig in and savor every delightful bite.
Reasons to Love
- Combines the flavors of a sloppy joe sandwich with the heartiness of a casserole. You get the delicious combination of tangy tomato sauce, savory ground beef, and aromatic spices, all baked together in a comforting casserole.
- Can be customized to suit different tastes. Want to add some extra veggies for added nutrition? Go ahead and toss in some bell peppers, onions, or even grated carrots. Craving some extra heat? Spice it up with jalapeños or hot sauce.
- Leftovers taste even better the next day. As the flavors meld overnight, each bite becomes more flavorful and satisfying.
To make this delicious dish, you will need various simple ingredients that are easily found in any grocery store.
Here are the items called for in the recipe.
- ground beef
- red bell pepper
- tomato sauce
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- frozen mini hash browns
- cheddar cheese
- dill pickles, optional
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a small casserole dish (about 7x6-inches) with non-stick cooking spray. Then follow these easy steps to make the sloppy joe casserole recipe.
Add ground beef to a large skillet drizzled with oil and cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
Once the beef is browned, drain any excess fat.
Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt.
Stir to combine.
Simmer mixture, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil.
Spread half the frozen hash brown potatoes in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Spread the beef mixture evenly over the potatoes, then sprinkle a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Layer the remaining hash browns on over the beef mixture.
Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese evenly over the top.
Bake for about a half hour, or until the cheese is melted and it is lightly browned.
Hint: A small rectangular baking dish will fit inside most toaster ovens, so there's no need to heat up your full-size oven.
There are endless ways to customize this dish to suit your own taste preferences. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Cornbread version: Add an even layer of cornbread batter on top instead of tater tots or hash browns. The contrast between the moist, saucy filling and the crispy cornbread topping creates an irresistible texture combination.
- Lighter option: Try swapping the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. Both options are leaner and lower in fat, making for a lighter version of this classic dish.
- Added veggies: You can add extra vegetables like diced green bell peppers, carrots, or zucchini to up the nutrition.
- Spice it up: Add some jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes to the mix. This will give your casserole a nice kick and add an extra layer of flavor.
- Change up the sauce: Many recipes will use ketchup, but we like to blend tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. You can also use canned sloppy joe sauce.
You can even try a small-batch buttermilk biscuit topping.
To create a mouthwatering sloppy joe casserole, follow these simple tips:
- Brown the ground beef: Before assembling, brown the ground beef in a skillet for a few minutes. This step adds a delicious depth of flavor to your dish.
- Enhance the taste profile: Don't hesitate to get creative with seasonings and spices. Mix in your favorite flavors like garlic powder, onion powder, or chili flakes for an extra kick. Experimenting with different combinations can take your sloppy joe casserole to new heights of deliciousness.
- Cover while baking: To prevent your casserole from drying out in the oven, cover it with foil while baking. This helps retain moisture and ensures every bite is juicy and flavorful.
By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to serving up a fantastic sloppy joe casserole that will have everyone returning for seconds.
Combining the dish with buttered corn on the cob can be an excellent choice for those looking for something heartier. The sweetness of the corn balances out the savory flavors of the casserole, creating a harmonious taste experience.
Additionally, consider offering dinner rolls or garlic bread on the side to soak up any leftover sauce from your plate. Bread provides additional substance and is perfect for dipping into the flavorful mixture.
Another option is to serve it with a simple garden salad tossed in a tangy vinaigrette dressing. The fresh greens and vibrant vegetables provide a refreshing counterpart to the rich and hearty casserole.
Transfer the leftovers into an airtight container before refrigerating them. This helps to prevent any odors from seeping into the casserole and keeps it fresh for longer.
When reheating your sloppy joe casserole, there are a couple of options depending on your preference. If you want to maintain its crispiness and avoid sogginess, using an oven or toaster oven is recommended. Simply preheat the oven to around 350°F (175°C), cover the casserole with aluminum foil, and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. For a quicker option, you can also use a microwave. However, be cautious not to overheat as this may lead to uneven heating or drying out of certain parts of the casserole.
Looking for more hearty dinners for one or two people? Check out a few of these recipes.
- Buffalo chicken pasta bake is satisfying and flavorful.
- Chicken pot pie casserole is packed with cozy flavors.
- Mini lasagna makes just two individual servings.
- Chili for two is slow-cooked to perfection.
- Chicken ranch casserole is a mouthwatering dinner idea.
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz Tater Tots frozen potatoes or frozen hash browns
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅛ cup chopped dill pickles optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 7x5-inch baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook the beef over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until the beef is browned. Drain any excess fat and add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet. Cook for an extra two minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt. Cook the mixture for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil.
- Spread half of the frozen potatoes in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the beef mixture evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle ½ cup of the Cheddar cheese over the beef mixture. Then layer the remaining potatoes on top, followed by the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, or until it becomes bubbly and the potatoes are lightly browned.
- Once done, remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle chopped pickles on top for added flavor and freshness.
- Serve the casserole while it's still hot.