Sink your fangs into our mouthwatering mummy baked brie this Halloween. It's a cheesy keto delight that will leave you hauntingly satisfied.
Want to add a spooky twist to your next gathering or Halloween party? We have the perfect appetizers to be a delicious centerpiece that catches everyone's eye. Our mummy brie appetizer is a hauntingly delightful take on the classic brie that can be paired with our spider web beef queso dip.
Imagine sinking your teeth into creamy, gooey brie cheese wrapped in flaky low-carb puff pastry, resembling an eerie mummy. This unique and creative dish will impress your guests and become the talk of the event.
Reasons to Love
- Creamy, gooey goodness. With this baked brie recipe, you get warm, melty cheese oozing out from within layers of golden-brown pastry.
- Easy to make. This recipe requires minimal ingredients and can be prepared in no time.
- Visually striking presentation. This dish is guaranteed to wow your guests. The flaky pastry wrapped around the brie resembles bandages on a mummy, making it not only delicious but also a conversation starter.
You'll need a few key ingredients to make a delicious keto-friendly mummy brie. Instead of regular puff pastry, you'll make a low-carb and gluten-free dough with almond flour and cheese.
Let's take a look at what you'll need to gather before getting started:
- wheel of brie
- mini pepperonis
- black olive slices
- mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- almond flour
- xanthan gum
- garlic powder
- baking powder
- egg white
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
To make a delicious keto mummy wrapped brie, follow these simple steps:
Place the mozzarella and cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Heat the mixture for 30 seconds at a time until well blended and smooth.
Transfer the melted cheese to a mixing bowl, if needed.
Add almond flour, xanthan gum, and garlic powder.
Add baking soda and salt.
Pour in the egg white and blend until a smooth dough is formed. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough out to about ¼ of an inch thick between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a pizza cutter to cut out strips from the dough.
Wrap strips around brie wheel like a mummy. Place brie on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until the brie has melted.
Place two pieces of mini pepperoni on the front of the mummy face to form its eyes. Cut two slices of black olive, and place them over the pepperoni on the front of the brie mummy.
Hint: Before wrapping your cheese with the keto fathead dough, make sure the brie is well-chilled or even slightly frozen. Chilling the brie helps it maintain its shape and prevents it from melting too quickly in the oven. This ensures that the fathead dough has enough time to cook and turn golden brown without the brie cheese oozing out too soon.
There are plenty of creative variations for making a mummy brie to suit various tastes and occasions. Here are some delicious options:
- Include bacon - wrap the cheese with slices of bacon before wrapping the dough strips. The bacon will add a smoky and savory element.
- Customize with flavors - before wrapping the brie, you can spread a thin layer of your favorite jam, chutney, honey, or even caramelized onions on top of the brie for added flavor.
- Any occasion - wrap the dough around the cheese whole instead of cutting the dough into strips and use a fork or toothpick to create vent holes. Sliced almonds can also be sprinkled on the dough for added texture and visual appeal before baking.
- Standard dough - If you aren't following a keto eating plan, feel free to use a regular sheet of puff pastry for the mummy bandages.
Check out our slow cooker buffalo chicken dip for another keto-friendly cheesy appetizer to serve with low-carb dippers.
Top tip: Fathead dough can become sticky and challenging to work with as it warms up. Since you're wrapping it around the brie like mummy bandages, you want it to remain pliable but not overly sticky. To achieve this, keep the fathead dough cold until you're ready to use it.
- Work quickly: Once you start wrapping the brie with the fathead dough, work efficiently to cover it completely. The quicker you can wrap it up, the better the dough will stay cold and manageable.
- Use an egg wash: To achieve a beautiful, golden-brown crust on your mummy baked brie, apply an egg wash before baking. Beat an egg and brush it over the fathead dough. This will give your mummy bandages a glossy finish and a rich color when they come out of the oven.
Once you've baked the wrapped mummy brie to perfection, it's time to think about how you want to present and enjoy this cheesy delight. Keto-friendly crackers, sliced vegetables, pork rinds, and baked tortilla strips made with low-carb tortillas are perfect dippers.
For those who enjoy a hint of sweetness with their cheese, try drizzling some keto-friendly honey over the top of your mummy brie. The natural sweetness pairs beautifully with the savory flavors and adds an extra layer of decadence. Alternatively, you can opt for low-carb cranberry sauce which provides a tart and tangy contrast.
It's essential to store it in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to four days.
If you want to reheat it, I recommend placing it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then, bake it in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, or until the inside is warm and the outside is crisp.
Want more tasty appetizer recipes for a small gathering? Here are some other tasty bites:
- Pumpkin deviled eggs are another fall favorite.
- Lumpia in air fryer is a modern way to cook Filipino spring rolls.
- Easy turkey roll-ups can be made in a flash.
- Air fry pasta chips are always a crowd-pleaser.
- Lemon pepper wings are perfect for parties.
Halloween Mummy Baked Brie (Keto)
- 7 ounces wheel of brie
- 2 slices mini pepperoni
- 2 black olives sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Heat the mixture for 30 seconds at a time until well blended and smooth.
- Add the cheese dough to a mixing bowl with the almond flour, xanthan gum, garlic powder, baking powder, egg white and salt. Blend until a smooth dough has formed.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll the dough out to about ¼ of an inch thick between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut out strips from the dough.
- Wrap the strips of dough around the brie cheese to form the mummy design.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until the brie has melted.
- Place two pieces of mini pepperoni on the front of the mummy face to form its eyes.
- Cut two slices of black olive, and place them over the pepperoni on the front of the brie mummy.