Want a thick and creamy beverage with a tropical twist? A flavorful toasted coconut shake will leave you feeling satisfied.
A milkshake with coconut will make if feel like summer no matter what time of year it is. So whether you're at the beach or staying warm indoors, you can enjoy a taste of the tropics all year long.
This shake is light, refreshing, and has a hint of sweetness. And it's thick like a vanilla bean frappuccino. The best part? It only takes three ingredients to make.
To make this coconut shake, you'll need unsweetened dried coconut flakes, coconut milk, and vanilla ice cream. Simply combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
If you want to dress it up a little, add some whipped cream on top.
Scroll down to the recipe card to see the quantities of each ingredient used.
When it comes to making a coconut shake, the first step is, of course, to toast the coconut. The next step is to add it to your blender along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Then pour into glasses and enjoy!
Add coconut flakes to a dry skillet over medium heat and stir frequently until browned.
Pour the coconut milk into a blender.
Add most of the coconut (reserving a small amount) and the ice to the blender.
Blend until everything is well combined into a smooth mixture. Pour into glasses.
Garnish with optional whipped cream and the reserved toasted coconut.
There are many variations of a coconut shake, but some of the most popular include adding chocolate, mango, or strawberry syrup. You'll find a few other options here.
- Protein boost- add a scoop of your favorite protein powder
- Piña colada - throw in some pineapple chunks for a piña colada flavor or frozen bananas for added potassium.
- Adult treat - Add a shot of rum or vodka for an adults-only treat.
- Flavor twist - Swap out the vanilla ice cream for chocolate or strawberry.
- Increase the coconut flavor - Use coconut ice cream instead of vanilla and add coconut whipped cream on top.
- Change the fat - Use coconut cream for a richer shake with more fat to keep you full longer. You can even add Weight Gainer protein powder for a weight gain shake. Or lighten it up with low fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
You can also use a dairy free ice cream if you are sensitive to cow's milk.
Follow these tips and tricks to make the creamiest, most flavorful coconut milkshake that will have you coming back for more.
- Stir the coconut flakes often when toasting so they don't burn.
- Top with whipped cream and a cherry for an extra special touch.
- Add a dash of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor.
This flavorful coconut shake is the perfect drink for summer. It makes a great snack or dessert when you want something cool and refreshing.
Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes for extra flavor and texture. Serve with a straw for easy sipping.
If you've ever had a coconut shake, you know they're pretty much the best thing ever. But what if you want to save some for later? Here's how to store a coconut milkshake for later:
- Pour the shake into a freezer-safe container.
- Place the container in the freezer for up to 2 hours.
- When you're ready to enjoy your shake, let it thaw for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the shake into a glass and enjoy!
Toasting helps to bring out the natural oils and flavors in the coconut, which can make for a more intense and delicious flavor in your shake. Additionally, toasting helps to dry out the coconut, making it easier to blend and preventing clumps from forming.
Try adding some chocolate chips, shredded coconut, or even a dollop of whipped cream on top. You could also add a splash of rum or vodka to give it an adult twist.
Some people prefer canned coconut milk because it is thinner and more convenient. Others prefer canned coconut milk because it is less processed and often contains fewer additives. Either will work for making a shake.
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- ¼ cup coconut milk in can or carton
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream optional
- In a small pan over medium heat, cook shredded coconut until it turns golden brown while stirring constantly, about five minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In small blender, combine coconut milk, vanilla ice cream, and most of the cooked coconut (reserving a small amount for garnish).
- Pour into a tall glass. Add whipped cream, if desired. Sprinkle the reserved coconut on top.