Are you in search of a delicious and easy dinner recipe? Braised beef short ribs are a classic comfort food that is sure to please.
This traditional dish is easy to prepare and requires minimal ingredients. With the right preparation, beef short ribs can be transformed into a rich and succulent entrée, bursting with flavor.
This recipe calls for slowly braising the short ribs in a flavorful sauce. The slowly cooked meat will be fork tender when it’s finished cooking; making it incredibly juicy and full of delicious aromas that will entice your taste buds.
Adding vegetables like onions, mushrooms, celery, and carrots will add further depth to this tasty dish. Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread to ensure you get all the wonderful juices!
With just a few ingredients, this recipe will easily be your go-to for an impressive but easy weeknight dinner or special occasion meal.
This braised beef short rib recipe requires more than just meat. You will need a variety of seasonings and condiments along with other key components for maximum flavor.
Here is a list of everything that you'll need to prepare this delicious dish:
- boneless beef short ribs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- beef broth
- tomato paste
- fresh thyme
- garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce
Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts used.
The key to making the perfect braised beef short ribs lies in the preparation. Preparing the ribs before you cook them will ensure that your guests are treated to a succulent, tender meal worthy of any special occasion.
First, be sure to trim off any excess fat from the boneless short ribs. This will help reduce the amount of grease and fat in your finished product.
Season the meat generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Sear short ribs in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
Pour the beef broth over the browned short ribs.
Add tomato paste, thyme, and garlic powder. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
Add Worcestershire sauce, if desired.
Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook for two hours.
This simple recipe requires minimal ingredients, making it an ideal weeknight meal for busy households. But if you want to change things up, there are several easy ways to vary the dish.
- Add a variety of vegetables for an extra hearty main dish. This can be done by adding diced carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, and minced garlic during the browning process. The vegetables will add flavor to the dish and provide additional texture.
- Use different types of liquids for braising instead of just water or broth. Red wine, beer, and even fruit juices like apple cider can all be used for braising. These liquids will add additional flavor to the dish and create a unique flavor profile.
- Change up the herbs and spices used in the recipe. Instead of using traditional herbs like rosemary and thyme, try adding some Asian-inspired flavors like ginger, sesame oil, or soy sauce. This will add a unique depth of flavor to your dish that will set it apart from other recipes.
You can even give it the taste of Carne Asada by adding smoky and spicy Mexican seasonings.
If you want to ensure success with this dish, there are several tips and tricks you should keep in mind when preparing it. Read on to find out the secrets behind the perfect braised beef short ribs!
- Don't skimp on the beef quality. Select a high-grade cut and make sure it is well-marbled with fat for maximum flavor.
- Brown your beef short ribs before adding them to the slow cooker or Dutch oven. This helps create a flavorful saucy base for your dish.
- Season the meat generously with salt and pepper before browning them in a hot pan on all sides. This will create a nice crust that seals in all the juices.
Braised beef short ribs are a delicious and easy to prepare dish that will make a great addition to any dinner table. This recipe is the perfect combination of savory and juicy, with just enough flavor to make it something special.
To serve, provide some sides that pair well with the the saucy braised beef short ribs. Rice or mashed potatoes provide an excellent base for these tender morsels, while grilled vegetables or a fresh salad help round out the meal.
To add an extra layer of flavor, try drizzling some pan juices over each serving for a rich finish. Additionally, garnishing with your favorite herbs and spices can further enhance the taste of this delectable dish.
To store, make sure that the beef short ribs have cooled completely before storing them in an airtight container. The container should be made of glass or plastic and should be able to fit all of the ribs comfortably.
If you don't have an appropriate container, you can also wrap the ribs tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap before placing them in a resealable bag. The ribs should last up to four days in the refrigerator.
If you want to extend their shelf life even further, you can freeze them for up to three months. To do this, place the wrapped ribs into a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer until ready to use. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
To braise short ribs is a cooking technique that involves cooking the ribs in a liquid, usually a combination of broth and wine. The ribs are first seared on the outside to give them a nice browned crust, then placed in a pan with the liquid and cooked slowly over low heat.
It is recommended to sear short ribs before braising. This helps to create a flavorful crust on the meat that will add depth of flavor to the finished dish. It also helps to seal in the juices and moisture of short ribs while they cook.
Beef ribs come from the rib section of the cow, while beef short ribs come from the plate section near the belly. Short ribs are also smaller and have a higher fat content.
Looking for more meaty main dishes? You may want to check out one of these other recipes.
- Creamy coconut curry chicken is a warm and comforting dish that's sure to please the taste buds.
- Korean ground beef and broccoli is a flavorful and easy-to-make dish that is sure to become a favorite in your home.
- Oven-baked pork steaks are an easy, quick and delightful dinner that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Braised Short Ribs
- 2 pounds of boneless beef short ribs
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Season the meat with salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add the short ribs and sear the meat on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Pour in the broth. Stir in the tomato paste, thyme, and garlic powder, and sprinkle in salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook for 2 hours.
Sherry L Ronning
My future son-in-law loves braised beef short ribs and always orders them when they are on a restaurant menu. I made him your short rib recipe and he loved it!! Thanks for helping me make his day!!
Made these for dinner on the weekend. It was a recipe worth waiting for! I loved mopping up the leftover sauce with some crusty bread.
This dinner was a hit with my family! It was delicious and easy to make!
These were so tender and flavorful! The spices were just perfect. Will make again!
I love how much flavour you get from such a quick and easy recipe! Definitely a keeper