Get ready to enjoy a mouthwatering cream cheese chicken breasts skillet recipe. It's a simple yet decadent dinner idea.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you the latest recipes and tips every week!
This dish balances the creamy richness of cream cheese with the savory flavors of tender chicken. From prep to table, this recipe is a breeze, making it ideal for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
Reasons to Love
- Quick and easy preparation. The simple stovetop preparation ensures that you can have a delicious and comforting meal on the table relatively quickly. This makes it perfect for hectic weeknights when you crave something hearty without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Savory and creamy. The dish combines the savory flavor of tender chicken with the creamy richness of cream cheese sauce. This flavor combination creates a rich and indulgent taste.
The essential ingredients for cream cheese chicken include boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cream cheese, and various seasonings like garlic powder, salt, and pepper. The chicken provides the protein base for the dish, while the cream cheese adds a rich and creamy texture to the sauce. The seasonings enhance the flavor profile of the dish.
Here's what you'll for this easy cream cheese chicken recipe:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- garlic powder
- smoked sweet paprika
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese
- parsley, optional
- soy sauce, optional
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities used.
Once you've gathered the ingredients, it's time to make this recipe. Start by mixing garlic powder and smoked sweet paprika into a small bowl of cornstarch.
Place chicken breast on a cutting board and slightly flatten chicken with a meat tenderizer.
Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Coat chicken in seasoned cornstarch and shake off excess coating.
In a heated skillet with oil over medium-high heat, sear both sides of chicken until golden in color.
Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes. Internal temperature should reach 165ºF.
Remove excess grease with paper towel. Set aside. In the same skillet, retain 2 tablespoons of oil then melt butter.
Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Pour chicken broth and deglaze pan. Stir to scrape any brown bits.
Add cream cheese and break down into smaller pieces.
Continue to stir until cream cheese is smooth and creamy. Add Parmesan cheese and blend well.
Gradually add water and soy sauce, if thinner sauce is preferred. Season with salt and black pepper as needed. Add in cooked chicken breasts.
Continue cooking with a gentle simmer for 20 to 30 seconds until both sides of chicken are heated through. Sprinkle fresh parsley before serving.
Hint: The cornstarch mixture helps to seal the moisture and provide moist and tender chicken. Do not undercook chicken and avoid overcooking chicken to prevent from drying out.
This creamy chicken dish can be prepared in various delicious ways, each offering its own unique flavor and texture. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Herbs and spices - use thyme, rosemary, or sage for a savory profile. Or try paprika or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. You can even use an Italian seasoning blend.
- Tomato and spinach - add sun-dried tomatoes and spinach to the creamy sauce for added nutrition.
- Bacon and mushroom - mix in smoky bacon and diced mushrooms to create a rich and savory depth of flavors to complement the creamy cheese.
- Slow cooker - shred chicken and add the cream cheese sauce mixture to a slow cooker. Cook time is 3 to 4 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
- Chicken thighs - use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Extra creamy - try using 1 tablespoon heavy cream in place of one ounce of cream cheese.
Leftover air fryer whole chicken is perfect for shredding if you want to try this comfort food dish in the slow cooker.
Top tip: Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before using it. This will ensure that it blends effortlessly into the sauce and creates a smooth, creamy texture without any lumps.
- Season chicken with salt before breading. If you need to season with salt again, do so after adding Parmesan cheese. This will help you to avoid a salty dish.
- Flatten chicken by slightly pounding. Pounding chicken helps to tenderize the meat.
Cream Cheese Chicken can be served over pasta, crock pot rice, or mashed potatoes. You can also use it as a filling for wraps or sandwiches to add a creamy twist to your meal.
After enjoying a delicious meal, promptly refrigerate any leftovers within two hours of cooking. Store the dish in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. When properly stored in the fridge, cream cheese chicken can last for up to four days.
If you want longer storage time, I recommend freezing. It should keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I substitute Neufchâtel for cream cheese in this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute Neufchâtel for cream cheese as it provides a lower-fat alternative without compromising taste or texture.
What is the best way to reheat leftovers?
To reheat, gently warm it on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
Want to try more of my easy chicken dishes for one or two? Here are some of my top recipes:
- Chicken divan combines chicken and broccoli with a cheesy sauce.
- Greek lemon chicken soup is a perfect blend of zesty and savory flavors.
- Wet burrito is filled with shredded chicken and smothered in sauce.
- Black pepper chicken is a Chinese American classic stir-fry.
- Chicken pot pie is an excellent choice for a cozy meal at home.
Cream Cheese Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
CREAM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley as garnish
FOR THINNER SAUCE: (optional)
- ½ tablespoon water
- ½ to 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a small bowl with cornstarch, mix in garlic powder and smoked sweet paprika.
- Place chicken breast on a cutting board and slightly flatten chicken with a meat tenderizer.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Coat chicken in seasoned cornstarch and shake off excess coating.
- In a heated skillet with oil, sear both sides of chicken until golden in color. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes. Internal temperature should reach 165ºF. Remove excess grease with paper towel. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, retain 2 tablespoons of oil then melt butter. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour chicken broth and deglaze pan. Stir occasionally to scrape any brown bits.
- Add cream cheese and break down into smaller pieces. Continue to stir until cream cheese is smooth and creamy. Add Parmesan cheese and blend well.
- Gradually add water and soy sauce, if thinner sauce is preferred. Season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Add in cooked chicken breasts. Continue cooking with a gentle simmer for 20 to 30 seconds until both sides of chicken are heated through.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley before serving.