Deliciously crispy air fryer home fries are easy to make without all the fat. Learn how to prepare this healthy alternative to traditional fried potatoes!
The air fryer is your best bet if you're looking for a fast and easy way to make delicious home fries with less oil. They will be perfectly crispy on the outside without needing to stand at the stovetop to cook these tasty treats.
Try them once, and you won't be able to go without them! They are a great alternative to french fries and perfect for any meal. Serve them as breakfast potatoes or as a side to burgers.
Crispy home fries in the air fryer are an easy and delicious side dish that can be made with just a few simple ingredients. Potatoes, salt, and pepper are the essential components of this recipe, but some optional additions can take them to the next level.
Here are the ingredients used in this air fryer home fries recipe.
- granulated garlic
- onion powder
- smoked sweet paprika
- green bell pepper
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil or avocado oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Wash and slice your potatoes into small pieces and dice up the green pepper.
Gather all the ingredients. Wash and slice your potatoes into cubes and dice up the green pepper.
With the potatoes in a large bowl, drizzle them with olive oil. Gently toss.
Season potatoes with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and paprika. Toss gently.
Add softened butter and blend well. Reserve about 1 teaspoon of butter.
Making a single layer, place seasoned potatoes in the Air Fryer tray. Air fry or ten minutes.
Using the same bowl as potatoes, add diced peppers and remaining butter. Toss to combine.
Add seasoned bell peppers. Gently toss and continue air frying.
Remove Air Fryer tray once potatoes are crisp on the outside and fully cooked through while the bell peppers are softened and fragrant.
Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy as is or pair with your favorite meaty mains.
If you want to get creative with your air fryer home fries, there are plenty of other ingredients you can add. The possibilities are endless when it comes to customizing this recipe, so experiment with different add-ins.
Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Toss in some chopped herbs like rosemary or thyme for a more aromatic experience.
- Add additional ingredients like a chopped onion.
- Try making sweet potato fries by using sweet potatoes.
- Mix in some shredded cheese for an extra cheesy kick.
- Add some sweetness to your home fries by adding diced apples or chopped bananas.
- Try adding jalapeños or chili powder for a spicy twist.
- Add cooked bacon or sausage pieces to make the dish even heartier.
If you've never cooked potato pieces in the air fryer, here are some tips to help you get started.
- Russet potatoes, high in starch, are the most popular choice for home fries. Yukon gold potatoes and red potatoes are other good options.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly under cold running water before using them. You want to remove all dirt and debris from the potatoes.
- After dicing, soak the potatoes in water to avoid browning. Pat dry potatoes before seasoning.
- The size of the potato cubes will depend on your preference, but smaller pieces cook faster and crispier in an air fryer.
- Add your favorite seasonings to give it a different flavor profile each time you make it. Experiment with different ratios of onion, garlic, and paprika until you find the perfect combination for your taste buds.
Home fries are a versatile side dish that can be served with various meals. They make an excellent side to breakfast dishes such as omelets and sheet pan pancakes. But they are also great with a burger or sandwich. They taste great with ketchup too.
You can also use them as an ingredient in other dishes. Try adding them to a mini frittata or a waffle grilled cheese for a hearty meal that is sure to please. You can also use them as a topping for shepherd’s pie or slow-cooked chili for a unique twist on classic comfort foods.
If you want something different, serve them with grilled chicken or baked steak for dinner. They go well with a smoked pork loin too. The potatoes will absorb the flavors of the meat and create a delicious pairing that everyone will love.
The best way to store them is to place them in an airtight container or bag. Make sure to cool the fries completely before you store them, as this will help keep them fresh. Before storing the fries, you can also wrap them in foil or wax paper. This will help prevent moisture from getting into the container and making the fries soggy.
When you're ready to reheat your leftover home fries, place them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until they are hot and crispy. If you don't have an air fryer, you can reheat them in a conventional oven or microwave. Just make sure not to overcook them, as this will cause them to become dry and hard.
The ideal temperature for home fries in an air fryer is 350-400°F. This temperature range allows the potatoes to cook through without burning them. You may need to adjust the temperature slightly depending on how crunchy you like your home fries. For a crispier texture, aim for 375-400°F, and for a softer texture, aim for 350-375°F.
Yes, you can make air fryer home fries with leftover potatoes. It is a simple and delicious way to use up any leftover potatoes you may have. Since they have already been cooked, the you won't have to air fry them as long.
Making air-fried home fries with canned potatoes is a quick and easy way to make a delicious side dish. Start by draining the canned potatoes and patting them dry with a paper towel.
Cut the potatoes into cubes or wedges and place them in a bowl. Add some oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and any other desired seasonings. Toss the potatoes until they are evenly coated with the seasoning mix.
Place the seasoned potatoes in an air fryer basket and set the temperature to 400°F for 15 minutes. Halfway through cooking time, remove the basket from the air fryer and shake it to ensure even cooking.
Love potatoes? Here are a few more dishes you may want to try.
- Loaded twice-baked potatoes are a cheesy and creamy treat.
- Vegetarian potato soup is perfect for a cozy night in.
- Scalloped potatoes for two is an easy and flavorful side dish.
Air Fryer Home Fries
- 2 medium russet potatoes skin on, washed, cut into bite-sized cubes
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 small green bell pepper core removed, diced
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter softened and divided
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat Air Fryer at 370°F (188°C). Set at 20 minutes.
- Using a large bowl, drizzle cut potatoes with olive oil. Gently toss.
- Season potatoes with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and paprika. Toss gently.
- Add softened butter and blend well. Reserve about 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Making a single layer, transfer seasoned potatoes on the Air Fryer tray. Slowly insert tray into the middle cooking chamber, near the rotisserie catch.
- Using the same bowl, add diced peppers and remaining butter. Toss to combine.
- Remove Air Fryer tray after 10 minutes. Add seasoned bell peppers. Gently toss and return Air Fryer tray into the middle cooking chamber.
- Remove Air Fryer tray once potatoes are crisp on the outside and fully cooked through while the bell peppers are softened and fragrant.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy as is or pair with your favorite meaty mains.